Help needed with basement bathroom design

Old 11-04-08, 05:49 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Help needed with basement bathroom design

We have a newly poured basement that has been roughed in for a full bathroom, and we're planning on remodelling the bathroom upstairs in the near future, so we're going to need a working bathroom downstairs while we do this.

What I need to know is a high-level overview of what steps to take, and in what order, to finish the basement bathroom. That way I can tackle each in turn and from the experience be better able to redo the upstairs bathroom.

The basement bathroom layout itself will be simple: we're planning to have a fiberglass shower, a pedestal sink and toliet, with a ceramic tile floor. There is already an exhaust fan venting to the outside in place, as well as wiring for a dedicated 20amp circuit run to a junction box near the exhaust fan.

Any direction would be appreciated!

Old 11-05-08, 05:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi rudeboy,

These are the steps I'd suggest:
1- Consider how the space will be used and draw up a complete plan. Include the electrical and plumbing plans as well as shelving and exhaust fan.
2- Consult with a plumber what do you want to do, but ask for a carpenter's look at it before start. Consider a first meeting between the plumber and the carpenter.
3- Consult if permits will be required
3- Is there a rough in down already? If don't, the plumber needs to cut the floor and install your piping for your rough in.
4- Pour concrete over your pipes.
5- Start framing walls on the top of the concrete
6- Be sure the carpenter knows where the plumber intends to run pipes, make holes, etc. Consider a second meeting between the plumber and the carpenter.
7- The plumber will install the pipes
8- The carpenter will finish the walls
9- Tiling and fixtures' installation.

Old 11-05-08, 07:11 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi, thanks for the reply! To answer some of your questions:

- The bathroom has been roughed in already
- I have a plumber who is going to connect all the piping for me
- I will be the "carpenter" in this project
- I've drawn out a "plan" with chalk on the basement floor of roughly where I think everything should go in relation to the existing roughed in plumbing

I want to confirm what would be the best order to do things...this is roughly what I was thinking, but please add/change this list as needed:

1. frame in the walls
2. run wiring to the fan, light and GFCI outlet
3. have plumber run the water lines as needed
4. install shower
5. have plumber connect the shower piping
6. hang gyproc/cement board
7. tile the floor
8. have plumber set the toilet and pedestal sink in place and connect the piping

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: