Tile Surround or 3 piece?

Old 11-05-08, 11:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile Surround or 3 piece?

My house was built in 1978 and it still has the original one piece harvest gold tub/shower. The bottom was supported with foam and it has broken down allowing the bottom of the tub to crack and leak. The previous owners repaired the tub once and right now it is duct taped to keep it from leaking as bad.
The question is this, we will have to cut out the tub to remove it, there is no way to get it out in one piece nor is there anyway to get a one piece in obviously, so we are torn between a tub and 3 piece surround or doing a new tub and tile surround. It seems the tile would be a bit more complicated but I feel confident we can do it right. The benefit of using tile is we can cover any space that the tub does not currently cover since the bathroom has paneling like mobile homes have (its on top of unfinished sheetrock) So we either need the surround to be the same size or bigger to be able to reuse the paneling. (I want to drywall it eventually but not now.)
What are your opinions? Do three pieces leak any? How about a fiberglass tub vs a Cast tub. My father in law says we should go with a cast tub and I know it would last longer but I feel a new fiberglass unit should last a long time if we support the bottom with mortar. I really don't care to much and want to go the cheaper route right now, I figure anything we put in would be better than dull harvest gold.
Thanks!

Old 11-06-08, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Aaaah, harvest gold....I bet the other bathroom is avocado, too. Mine is. Definitely go with the tub and tile surround IF and ONLY IF you think you can wiggle a new tub in the doorway and get it laid flat to install in the slot. Otherwise you may have to do some wall adjustment by removing studs and it gets messy.
The three piece surrounds IMO just look cheap, and if the glue fails at any point the entire job is compromised. Tile, on the other hand, will always look clean and solid.

Old 11-06-08, 08:20 AM
B
Stains

I agree with chandler. Do the tile. I did the surround and I'm regretting it. For my surround the material they used stains more easily then the tub bottom. Of course I have hard water. Buy or rent a tile saw... you'll be glad you did. Think I got mine for $80.

Old 11-06-08, 12:57 PM
C
Thanks for the advice, as usual my wife was right (she wants tile). The other bathroom has a pinkish brown shower Chandler, You were close. I am going to remeasure the narrow spot we have to get the new tub into and make sure whatever new one we pick will fit, its gonna be tight it should fit into the old spot its getting it there thats going to be fun. I am going to remove the toilet to have some standing room, The bathroom is long and narrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: