Concrete over ceramic tile

Old 11-10-08, 08:58 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete over ceramic tile

Can you pour concrete over ceramic tile? We have ceramic tile in our kitchen and I hate it. My husband said if we try to take it up we will have to take up the subfloor. We are on a conventional foundation not a slab. Baker board or hardy board was used when we put the ceramic down. We have beeen told there is no way to get the ceramic up without ripping everything out which is to costly. I want anything but ceramic. Does any know the answer to this or have any suggestions. Our house is very rustic. We have ash that we had cut and dried on the other floors and cypress walls.

Thanks
Jackie

Old 11-10-08, 10:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You cannot pour a concrete floor over a ceramic floor, for several reasons related with the ceramic condition (cracks, etc), the fact that the concrete floor will not "glue" on the ceramic, etc. And as the ceramic is impermeable, the concrete will crack immediately.
All the above said, remains the fact of the levels--> check if the level of the floor after the addition of a new floor layer will be OK with the cabinets, appliances, etc

Anyway, if you are not sure about the existent conditions under the floor and foundations, I'd suggest that you call a professional in order to check the situation and evaluate the alternatives

Old 11-10-08, 11:26 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Whenever you have a situation like yours, the best answer is to take it back to the original subfloor. Yes it will be a PIA to remove but thats your best bet. I dont know what the framing is for your floor, but pouring concrete over the cement board and tile you have there now will add a considerable amount of weight as well. You will also have height issues to deal with. Unfortunately, most times the right way aint easy.

Old 11-10-08, 11:43 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
And as the ceramic is impermeable, the concrete will crack immediately.
You can install a mud bed over ceramic tile. You can abraid the tile, and use a slurry of thinset as a bonding agent. You can also install tile over tile by abraiding the existing tile and using a modified thinset. This assumes the original tile is in good condition, no cracked grout or tile etc, and the floor structure will support the added weight.

The op might want to post this in another area, say vinyl flooring to see what they recommend. Its clear they dont like ceramic tile and dont want to use it again. Perhaps a leveling or patching compound could be used and then vinyl, but check with the vinyl people.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: