help--question on bathroom/bedroom

Old 11-10-08, 03:36 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help--question on bathroom/bedroom

we now have a bedroom downs with a family room(nobody uses) behind it. we want to knock the wall down that separates the bedroom to the family room and make it one large bedroom. the 1/2 bath downthere will also become part of the bedroom. the laundry room is right behind the bathroom and will have a separate entrance.
we will knock down the bedroom wall and frame out the new bedroom. we will be removing and adding baseboard. we will be building some closets and also putting in a shower in the bathroom. my contractor gave me a price of 10k ,everything included. the material for the bathroom/shower is nothing real cheap but is good quality. is 10k too expensive?

Old 11-10-08, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Too expensive? It sounds way to cheap. My bathroom remodel was $10k, and that was me doing all the work.

Get multiple bids and go from there.

Old 11-10-08, 03:42 PM
C
Received 270 Upvotes on 221 Posts
Assuming your contractor is subbing the trades it's probably a fair price in the NE. A couple of days work for an electrician and the same for a plumber, drywall guys, framers etc. It adds up.

If your contractor is a guy with a helper and he's going to do all the work, it's probably too much.

Old 11-11-08, 06:54 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You havent given near enough info to determine if this is a fair price or not. No one here knows exactly what needs to be done, as every single job is different. Get some competitive quotes and go from there. Remember if a contractor gives you a quote that sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 11-11-08, 08:14 AM
Hi taser,

reading your description, there are at least 10 or 12 items that may change the price from cheap to expensive, starting with "who is going to buy the materials" or "who and how is going to take care of the waste removal?"
In addition, you wrote "we want to knock the wall down that separates the bedroom to the family room"--> is this wall a structural wall? did you check if you need a permit for this? if so, who is going to seal the plans?

Returning to the costs issue, this is what I'd do--> ask for two or three quotations, with the descrition of the necessary services + the quantity of each service (example: "baseboard removal= xxxx ft") with this info in hand, check the website below--> they have a FREE building cost calculator
Building-Cost.net -- free residential building cost calculator

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: