Seams on the Wonderboard, Alkaline tape?

Old 11-14-08, 09:04 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seams on the Wonderboard, Alkaline tape?

Hello Everyone,
While looking for answers on this site, I found that the seams where the wonderboard meets, it should have 'alkaline tape' and thinset. Alkaline tape vs fiberglass mesh because if fiberglass mesh tape is used, the thinset will eat it away. I could not locate this tape at the HD. Plumbing dept, Paint Dept., or in the Tile Dept. To further this question or possible answer, when applying the felt, there should be 'asphalt cement' applied on the studs, prior to the felt. I did find in the Roofing Dept. 'asphalt cement'. Product #204. In this Roofing Dept. I found Fiberglass Mesh Tape that is recommended to be used with this asphalt cement. Of course this pertains to roofing applications. But would this fiberglass mesh tape be suitable for the Wonderboard seams?

Old 11-14-08, 02:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi!

If you look about the Hardiebacker in the tile section of HD, there should be some board tape, if not there, it will be over where the drywall is. Call your local HD and see if they have the following SKU in stock: 941630

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90058+501586

When they say asphalt cement, they are probably talking about 15lb roofing felt stapled to the studs. You can use that or a 6mil poly barrier (in paint dept).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: