Question on Tiling Kitchen backsplash...

Old 11-17-08, 11:16 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on Tiling Kitchen backsplash...

I have two questios regarding on tiling...

I know the process... apply mortar adhesive, place tiles, grout and seal.

My questions are...

1) Once I start the first step of applying the adhesive and placing the tiles, do I need to finish that step all in one shot? Or can I break it up into 2 or 3 days? I'm only asking because I want to start on my tiling but won't have time until I get home from work. I'll only have 2-3 hours each night at most.

2) After I place the tiles with adhesive, do I need to wait 1 day (24 hrs) before I can grout? Or can I do that the same day I finish placing the tiles?

3) I picked up chiaro (rustic style) 4x4 tiles and the store recommended 3/8" spacers, but they look a tad big... will this be okay or should I go with 1/8 spacers instead? Also... are spacers really necessary?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 11-17-08, 11:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1. You can break it up into different days. Just make sure you clean up the thinset.

2. Wait the 24 hrs

3. Up too you

I would however, grout it all in one day so your grout batch is mixed the same. Grouting don't take that long anyways.

Old 11-17-08, 03:23 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What hot said, but always follow the directions on the adhesive container, some want you to wait longer.

3/8 is a bit much for a 4x4 tile. And the bigger the joint, the more stain problems you may have.

And I have always found that grouting is often more work than setting the tile. But for an absolutely stain resistant grout, use epoxy grout. Not recommended for a beginner, however. Once mixed, you only have aout 30 mins to FINISH everything, then it is set HARD!!!!!

Old 11-17-08, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This brings up a good point. Is this tumbled travertine? If so, you will want to apply a grout release sealer before grouting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: