wood plank ceiling

Old 11-24-08, 10:04 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wood plank ceiling

In my newly remodeled kitchen I would like to cover the ugly popcorn texture drywall ceiling with some nice tongue and groove planking. Can I apply the planks directly to the drywall ceiling with a nail gun or do I have to leave an air gap and/ or apply a vapor barrier between the drywall and the wood planks?

Old 11-25-08, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! With the insulation above the ceiling, you already have the appropriate vapor barrier installed, so another one would create a moisture pocket. Personally, I would scrape the popcorn prior to installing another strata over it. You will want to run your boards perpendicular to the ceiling joists, nailing with a finish nailer adjacent to the tongue to hide the nail into the joisting.

Old 11-26-08, 09:41 PM
S
Ceiling Planks

Thanks for the help. One more quick Question.........Does code call for the wood planks to meet some kind of fire code on the ceiling of a kitchen? And if so, is there a product available to treat the planks to meet the code?

Old 11-27-08, 02:14 PM
the dry wall that is already on your ceiling should quallify for the fire barrier. but check your local code office.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: