Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

install corian directly over top of laminate countertops?

Old 11-28-08, 09:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Got a deal on some scratched up corian, and wonder if its possible to install it right on top of my laminate countertop, which is in fine shape by the way, its just ugly. Will construction adhesive do the trick to bond the underside of the corian to the laminate?

Im assuming of course that normal corian installs use adhesive.  I cant imagine it takes screws very well. Any advice fellas?

Old 11-28-08, 09:24 PM
T
Lose the plastic laminate top if installing Corian. There are several websites that tell you how to install Corian. Here's one: How Install Corian-Type Solid-Surface Countertops by Mark Johanson for the Handyman Club of America on the Natural Handyman Home Repair and Do It Yourself Website

You can go to www.corian.com to learn how to buff out scratches.

Old 11-29-08, 09:59 AM
M
thanks! that article says to use simple silicone as the adhesive? is that strong enough? The other website for supplies and such is asking around $100 for the special corian adhesive caulk gun, as well as adhesive at $40 a tube!

Does silicone or construction adhesive work just as well? I cant imagine it wouldnt. Or am I mixing up the adhesive used to mount the corian to the base cabinets, with the seam sealer stuff?

Im also having trouble viewing those photos in the article. It keeps launching a new window to register, which Ive already done for that website. Still have to squint....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: