Bathroom ceiling repair

Old 12-02-08, 08:08 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom ceiling repair

Hi All: My bathroom ceiling is 6'x10' with a "beloved" popcorn finish. There are some hairline cracks in the popcorn. Should, and how do I repair these? Drywall compound with a toothbrush? I have a ventilation fan that I do not believe is vented outside, just to the attic area. I believe I've read that they should be vented all the way to the outside?

I believe the ventilation fan was installed after the piopcron ceiling as there are patches of popcorn adjacent to the fan that are falling off. How do I repair this? Scrape off any loose popcorn with a putty knife and reapply popcorn via one of the popcorn repair spray cans?

Hate to think about it, but should I take down all the popcorn and paint? The majority of the popcorn seems solid.

Thanks

harryr3

Old 12-02-08, 12:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Harry!

If this bath has a shower, I'd recomend removing the popcorn. While the popcorn may seem to be in good shape, unless it's been well painted, it is likely to turn loose if you paint it. The popcorn is easy to remove, just mist it with water and scrape. It does make a big mess

There isn't a good way to repair popcorn other than scraping off the area to be repaired, fixing it with joint compound [maybe tape too] and then retexturing. I have cheated and dabbed some caulk on cracks - still noticable but not as bad as before.

The vent should be plumbed to the exterior, either thru the roof or out a gable end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: