No cold water in kitchen...frozen pipe?

Old 12-15-08, 11:47 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No cold water in kitchen...frozen pipe?

I woke up this morning to no cold water in my kitchen. My hot water works fine and the cold water throughout the house does too. I did some research when I got to work this morning and read that the pipe may be frozen. It was extremely cold here last night (below zero) and the kitchen sink is on an outside wall. I went home over lunch and opened the cupboards underneath the sink, turned up the heat and opened the cold water faucet some....which were tips I read on here.

I am concerned I will go home to a burst pipe if it is indeed frozen.

On a side note, the faucet was put in about two weeks ago and has been working fine, however my Dad thought something may be caught in the cold water line or within the faucet itself, which would be blocking the water from coming through. Is this possible? Ideally I do not want to have to remove the faucet, but obviously I need the cold water to work.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 12:24 PM
S
If the line is frozen then opening the tap will help avoid a burst as the pressure will escape.It's not 100% but a good idea.Also if the pipe thaws on it's own gradually you should be ok.

If this line has never frozen until the new faucet was installed and especially with the info of maybe something in the line I'd be checking the stem on that side,the aerator on the spout and any inline valve that might be in that line such as a valve under the sink for loose washers or obstructions etc.Then I'd be taking the supply line on that side loose at the faucet and seeing if water comes through and/or flushing it out and also doing the same at the valve or point where the line is attached at the other end.

If the faucet has a sprayer then the diverter could be stuck or obstructed so it would need to be checked as well.

Old 12-15-08, 12:41 PM
S
Thanks for responding. I will check your other suggestions tonight if the line is still not working when I get home.

I have only been in the house since April so I am not sure if they prior owners had problems with the pipes freezing. It doesn't look like there has been any water damage before so hopefully that is a good sign.