Ceramic tile over concrete

Old 01-03-09, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile over concrete

Hello everyone,

I'm remodeling our powder room and would like to put in ceramic tiles. I just finished demo-ing the room which included pulling up thin Armstrong tiles which appeared to have been stuck to the cement floor underneath with some sort of black glue.

My question is this -- Before I install the Ditra over the concrete, do I need to do anything such as clean the black glue off the floor? Besides being absolutely flat and level, is there anything else I need to consider when putting tile over a cement floor?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

-Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove as much of that cutback adhesive as you can with a razor scraper. Do not use any chemicals.

I like your use of Ditra!

Old 01-05-09, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Matt

You'll want to make sure that all the cutback adhesive is removed so that there is no more than a stain left on the concrete. You may have some issues here. Schluter wants you to use a dryset (unmodified) mortar over concrete slabs with ditra, however dryset morter is not for use over cutback adhesive. You need a good modified thinset over cutback adhesive. If you are sold on ditra, I'd call Schluter to see what they recommend. Most times, tile can be installed directly to the slab over cutback using a good modified thinset mortar. Is there a reason why you want to use ditra?

Does the slab have any cracks in it? If so, describe the cracks.