Grout question- sanded vs. unsanded

Old 01-12-09, 05:56 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grout question- sanded vs. unsanded

Completed tiling my shower area, and went to Lowes to buy some grout. They had one brand with a color that matched my trim dead-on. When I asked the clerk about coverage amounts, and showed her the tile (high-gloss ceramic). I was then informed that if I used sanded grout on this type of tile, I'd scratch the heck out of 'em. I'd really prefer to use a pre-mixed product (in a tub/bucket), but although the color was not an exact match, she said that I could use it because it was water-based, and not epoxy-based.
The bottom line question is, MUST I use a non-sanded grout and caulk, or will I scratch the living heck out of the tile job I just worked so hard to complete? Any advice IS appreciated!

Old 01-12-09, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You use sanded grout for grout lines 1/8" or bigger and non sanded for 1/8" or smaller.

The sanded grout will NOT damage your tile. Just follow the directions regarding clean up.

Old 01-12-09, 07:16 PM
N
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
You use sanded grout for grout lines 1/8" or bigger and non sanded for 1/8" or smaller.

The sanded grout will NOT damage your tile. Just follow the directions regarding clean up.
My tile spacers are 3/16th, close enough, eh? So now I've got to wonder why someone that works in a flooring/tile department of a big-box store would give me a total load of bull?
Probably many variables to that question, but I'd bought her advice, hook, line and sinker, and it put me in a quandry.

Old 01-13-09, 07:51 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Use sanded grout. It aint gonna scratch ceramic tile. I'll bet that lowes employee never set a tile in her life. Not the best place for advice those big box employees.

Old 01-13-09, 10:53 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It's always best to do your own homework. Retail clerks do not do their homework. They are not certified by the Tile Institute and do not have the years of tile installation experience required to instruct DIYers on installation or products. It is unfortunate that retailers turn these clerks lose on the consumers.

Old 01-13-09, 01:29 PM
N
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny
Use sanded grout. It aint gonna scratch ceramic tile. I'll bet that lowes employee never set a tile in her life. Not the best place for advice those big box employees.
Thanks for the help and encouragement. I was speaking to a co-worker that used to be a contractor, and his word of advice was to use one of those "icing" bags that are sold in the grout department. That way, the grout goes right where it's supposed to, and to wipe lightly with a moist sponge. He did caution against using a rubber float against high gloss ceramic while using sanded grout. Sounds like a plan.

Old 01-13-09, 01:41 PM
T
Skip the grout bag, especially on a wall. You won't scratch the tile. As a matter of fact, if you get the same grout in unsanded and mix a handful in with your sanded grout, it will make it sticker so it doesn't fall off the wall as much. A quick wipe with a ever slightly dampened sponge will make the grout glide over the face of the tile too.

Old 01-20-09, 06:56 PM
N
Bag the (grout) bag

Originally Posted by Tilebri
Skip the grout bag, especially on a wall. You won't scratch the tile. As a matter of fact, if you get the same grout in unsanded and mix a handful in with your sanded grout, it will make it sticker so it doesn't fall off the wall as much. A quick wipe with a ever slightly dampened sponge will make the grout glide over the face of the tile too.
At first, I tried the bag...as worthless as you-know-what on a boar, even after I tried clipping the opening wider. I wound up using an epoxy-based grout, which was heavy and thick, even an epoxy float really didn't work with it. I just used the float as a palet, and spread/pressed the gout in between the joints using a plastic putty knife. After I was done with each bucket full, I'd wipe the tiles smooth with a slightly damp sponge. The shower came out looking really great. Thanks to everyone in this forum for helping with my questions along the way!

Old 01-21-09, 03:14 PM
What type of exoxy? Spectralock? Two part system?

Old 01-21-09, 03:25 PM
N
What type of exoxy? Spectralock? Two part system?
Correct. The A/B epoxy packets are in the bucket, then add the (colored) grout.

Old 01-21-09, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Nate3292
Correct. The A/B epoxy packets are in the bucket, then add the (colored) grout.
Good deal! That's some good stuff!

Old 01-21-09, 03:41 PM
N
Good deal! That's some good stuff!
Well, the Spectralock water-mix grout was $10. a box, vs. $24. per bucket for the epoxy. I needed 6 buckets to get the job done...$150.!, but....I never have to seal or treat it for mold/mildew. Did the ceiling and lower-tub perimeters, too...supposed to be so durable and water-tight, I won't even need to apply any caulk (and it'll look much better this way!)
I wish I could post a few photos of the before/after shots. If there's a way to do that, please let me know.

Old 01-21-09, 04:05 PM
Upload your pictures to a photosharing site, like photobucket.com, flicker, etc and then post the IMG url back here in a post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: