??tile bases for standing showers-any good?

Old 01-13-09, 08:12 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
??tile bases for standing showers-any good?

I had to tear out my standing shower unit-found mold due to leaking.. The leak was fixed, the walls gutted to studs and bleached. I need to replace with standing shower unit. small space only 32x32. Not finding much that looks nice, thinking of going to tile. I have seen the shower bases that can be tiled over. Is this a good choice?
Thanks

Old 01-13-09, 09:28 AM
M
If you're looking for a ready to tile shower base Tile Redi offers bases in that size for $709 with a single curb configuration. They also do custom sizes although lead time and cost would vary. As far as waterproofing capability, if the system is properly installed and you avoid puncturing it (it's pretty sturdy) you won't have any issues. This system is about as straightforward as it comes, you simply measure, place the order and drop it into place once it arrives. Keep in mind that you may need to provide dimensions on the exact drain placement as well.

You might want to check out Schluter Kerdi which is not a ready-to-tile product although it does offer customizable layouts at a reasonable price. It too is pretty straightforward.

If you're asking simply in terms of waterproofing and durability, either Schluter Systems or Tile Redi would be a good choice. Both offer warranties and after sales service.

Old 01-13-09, 12:07 PM
T
Forget Tile-redi pans. If it aint being done with Schluter Kerdi, it isn't worth doing. You can get the 48" shower kit (the preformed tray can be cut to your size) complete with curb, square drain (the secret to the system) in several metal finishes and in either abs or pvc, and have a system that cannot be topped. All for less money than the tile ready pan.

Shower Systems - Schluter-Systems

And it gets installed over regular sheetrock.

I cannot tell you where to buy it, it's available at many tile places or you can special order it from HD. If you want to send me a private message, I can give you a site where you can get it really cheap.

Old 01-13-09, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Schluter is the best out there, but if your drain is not perfectly centered, their pan will not work.

These do cost a bit more, but worth it. If you don't got the money, a traditional mud pan will be cheap too.

Old 01-13-09, 02:43 PM
T
Schluter is the best out there, but if your drain is not perfectly centered, their pan will not work.
Mark, it's just the preformed polystyrene pan that won't be used, you can still make a single layer mud base with their drain. Your post made it sound like the system won't work.

Old 01-13-09, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, Bri, I meant just the poly pan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: