Drilling Through Granite Countertop

Old 01-13-09, 12:02 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Drilling Through Granite Countertop

I need help finding the right tools for drilling through granite counter tops. At present I use an 1/2" diamond wet/ dry core bit with a standard drill. It takes me approximately 30-40 mins to accomplish job. There must be a better way, any feed back would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-13-09, 04:13 PM
J
Sounds like the core bit may be a bit dull. Are you using water to cool it??? Don't use hammer function, it may crack the granite.

Old 01-14-09, 07:12 AM
M
drilling through franite

Just Bill,

The bit(s) are new and are wet/ dry type. Although water is not used during the whole drilling process, bit is cooled periodically with water. Because this process is so long, the bits are justed 2 to 3 times and than a new bit is used. This process although expensive the time it takes to drill 30- 40 min is just not acceptable

Old 01-14-09, 08:57 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A recent thread here with the same problem tended to favor calling a granite installer to come to the home to drill the holes and install the countertop. The conclusion was that the pro had the proper tools and would get the holes in the correct location. Thus, expediting installation time, eliminating chance for error, and worth the added expense.

Old 01-14-09, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Haven't done it, but have seen it done. If a continuous trickle of water onto the bit is not feasible (it cools and washes out the grit, similar to a CNC machine), I've seen a dam built around the hole with clay or putty and a quantity of water poured into it. Better than just occasionally cooling the bit I guess.

You'd have to be careful with what putty was used as I understand some can stain natural materials like marble and granite...

Again, haven't done it myself. Just what I observed.

Old 01-14-09, 04:08 PM
J
Sorry that you are impatient, if it is a particularly hard granite........it can take as long as it takes. If you force the drill, you risk cracking the granite. This is not really a DIY job, rely on those that do it for a living.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: