used tile adhesive to level floor.

Old 01-21-09, 11:53 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
used tile adhesive to level floor.

I just finished tiling my bathroom floor (5' x 4'). After installing my shower base I found that the floor sloped almost to 1/2 " from corner to corner. I used AcrylPro tile adhesive and built up the final six tiles just over 1/4 " .

I, of course, did this without researching or looking for any advise. My concern is .... now that I've done this, what problems will occur. Should I pull those tiles and invest some $$$ in a floor leveler.

It's been 36 hours and most of the floor is set (with the exception of the 6 tiles in question.). There is still some sponginess under two of the tiles. Time is no factor in this instance.

Old 01-21-09, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh my...where to begin....

AcrylPro should NOT be anywhere near a shower installation. Tear it all out and use a powdered thinset, like Versabond.

This is how it should have been done:

Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

How did you build your shower pan?

Also, you said bathroom floor, did you mean shower floor as well?

Old 01-22-09, 07:18 AM
W
I have a fibreglass shower pan. The guy at Home Depot recommended that I use this adhesive. He assured me it would be fine for the bathroom floor, and that I could bring it up 1/4" to level. Since I've been researching, I've noticed that no one else recommends that. I don't know why this guy would tell me to do this considering they do sell floor leveller at home depot.

When I was shopping for an adhesive, I was asking specifically for a bathroom floor. Something that would last 'if built up'. Sounds like I mad a wrong choice?

Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-22-09, 09:11 AM
H
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unfortunately, manufactureres of mastic (tile adhesive in a bucket) make claims that there products are capable of doing things that the industry advises against. They are sold as a one product does everything solution to diy'ers. Setting floor tile with mastic is one of those things that the industry does not encourage. These adhesives have little to no leveling ability on a floor, and take forever to cure, specially with larger format tile. This stuff should never be used as a leveler. There are also issues with mastic reimulsifying when it comes in contact with water.

Big box employees often make recommendations about products that they sell without having the knowledge necessary to make the right recommendation. I'll leave it at that.

Your floor should have been installed with a quality modified thinset. Minor corrections to the floor could be made with thinset. Anything more than 1/4" or so and you need a portland cement based patching compound or self leveling compound.

You dont say what the composition of your floor is. Is it a concrete slab or a framed floor? If its a framed floor, what is the composition of subfloor/underlayment and what did you set the tile to?

Its likely that this stuff may take forever to cure, specially in the built up areas.

Old 01-22-09, 10:57 AM
W
I have a framed in 1" thick exterior plywood floor. I went to another store today to pick out wall tile and the guy there is telling me that this stuff was no good for flooring in a bathroom (especially with a 12" x 12" tile). He also said I could get lucky and suggested to possibly try my luck and be prepared for any problems in the future.

I have the time to rip up this floor right now ...

Or should I wait?

Any suggestions.

Here's what the pail says. (Not that I'm disagreeing with anyone, just a little ticked with the product.)

Acrylpro Ceramic Tile Mastic is a high performance, pro formula adhesive that offers benefits to both the professional user and DIY customer. It spreads quickly and easily and offers extended open times for adjusting tile. It also provides higher bond strengths required for 12" x 12" (30 x 30 cm) ceramic floor tile installations and exceptional durability in wet areas. Can be used on ceramic, mosaic, quarry, pavers, gauged slate, porcelain and gauged stone tile.

Last edited by wadsy; 01-22-09 at 11:38 AM. Reason: just to add a description of the mastic
Old 01-22-09, 11:34 AM
H
The mastic will take forever and maybe never to dry. It should never have been used. Additionally, if you are saying that you set the tile directly to plywood with mastic, it will never survive. I'd take it up now. Odds are you'll be able to get the tile up pretty easy and be able to clean gook off the backs of the tile so you can reuse them. Leaving them as is may prove to be a bigger gamble than you wanna take.

Remove the tile. You'll need either an isolation membrane or cement board over the plywood before installing the tile. You could also use self leveling compound over the plywood to achieve a flat level floor, then tile over that. Make sure you use thinset to set the tile, the kind you buy in powder form in a bag and mix yourself with water. No premixed products in a bucket are acceptable here.

Old 01-22-09, 11:40 AM
W
Thanks for all the help.

I believe I'll start on that tonight.

Old 01-22-09, 11:56 AM
W
More good news ...

At least Home Depot will take back a partial container of the stuff for a full refund.

Old 01-22-09, 12:01 PM
H
Wadsy

If you clean all that mastic out of the bucket, the bucket is the perfect size for mixing thinset. A lot easier than those 5 gallon pails.

Love them buckets.

Old 01-22-09, 12:27 PM
W
I'm taking that bucket back. Get some $ back in my pocket

I just popped a few tiles to see what I'll be getting into tonight, and to be honest, that mastic is as fresh as the day I layed it. Already have the levelling compound.

Thank you very much, I'm sure you saved me a headache down the road. Beer 4U2

Old 01-22-09, 12:32 PM
H
Make sure that whatever slc or patching compound you have, that it is portland cement based.

Old 01-22-09, 04:28 PM
W
Good thing you mentioned that. The leveller I have is called Tileperfect - LEVEL PLUS.
INgredients: Silicone dioxide and Acrylic latex.

This is a NO go?

Old 01-22-09, 04:40 PM
H
The kind of leveler you are looking for, comes in a bag and is mixed with water. That stuff is not what you need.

Home Depot carries Custom Building Products line. You are looking for LevelQuik.

Old 01-22-09, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't forget the primer that comes in a bottle (LevelQuikRS). Also remember, this stuff sets up fairly quick, so have your area ready for it soon as you are done mixing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: