Need suggestions for a wall of cabinets

Old 01-25-09, 10:31 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need suggestions for a wall of cabinets

I have a wall that is 9-1/2 feet long in my kitchen, I want to make a wall of cabinets, because I plan to take out my wall oven cabinet and my cooktop cabinet and replace with a range, which means that I will lose 4 cabinets. The problem is that I only have a maximum of 18" of depth space, because of the placement of the doorway to my kitchen (which I am disinclined to narrow or move). I've looked at modular freestanding cabinets from Ethan Allen and Pottery Barn, but they are all frightfully expensive and 23-24" deep. I'd love to find something modular that I could put together myself, something like RTA cabinets would be ideal, but I'd like to find something like an 18" deep cabinet that I could put on the bottom and then ordinary 12" deep cabinets above them would be fine -- to make sort of a pantry. Then I can pick glass doors, baskets, and other interesting things to give it some visual interest.

Is there such a thing as an 18" deep cabinet without having it custom made?

Old 01-25-09, 01:16 PM
Hi hackwriter,

Most manufacturers have
For example, you will find some Kraftmaid cabinets starting with a depth= 12"
KraftMaid Cabinetry Sizes & Specifications

Old 01-25-09, 02:35 PM
J
Have you looked at Ikea? Or a more expensive note, Blum?

Old 01-25-09, 06:53 PM
H
I hadn't thought of Ikea because a) I've heard their cabinets are junk; and b) I'm looking for something more Arts & Crafts/traditional rather than contemporary.

Old 01-25-09, 08:42 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Standard base cabinets are 24" deep. Standard wall cabinets are 12" deep. When shopping more economical lines of cabinetry, you will not find modifications. You have to go with a manufacturer who offers standard and semi-custom. Semi-custom lines allow for modifications like increased and decreased depths of cabinetry.

Keep in mind that kitchen design software will automatically default from window and door frames by 3". Some manufacturers offer end angle cabinets that soften the corners when cabinets are placed by doors and windows.

You need to work with a kitchen designer for an efficient layout. You are spinning your heels worrying about the loss of cabinets with your new appliance arrangement. A designer can work around this. You will still need cabinets above the range, because you have to have something to which you attach the range hood. It may be possible to work a pantry cabinet into the design for additional storage. Remember, you are taking out the wall oven cabinet, so you will be gaining that space for base and wall cabinets.

Old 01-26-09, 04:15 AM
H
I will have the range hood because I am not ripping out the existing wall cabinets so that is not an issue. Good point about the doorway, though. Perhaps I should just use stock wall cabinets and build with those...

Old 01-26-09, 04:05 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Use stock cabinets. Work with a kitchen designer to help with a good layout for your space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: