Re:Doing Basement Bathroom-concrete board

Old 01-28-09, 10:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re:Doing Basement Bathroom-concrete board

Beer 4U2Hi All,

I am re:doing the basement bathroom with a combination of drywall on top and concrete board on the bottom near the concrete floor.
What do you use to fill and finish the seems between--Mortar
or drywall compound and synthetic tape or something else that I do not know about?
Should you finish off the concrete board as it's quite pitted with what material--drywall compound or ? Then paint.:PE:
Any ideas?

Thanks all

Old 01-28-09, 12:08 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Randy can you describe for us a little better what you trying to accomplish? Are you planning on tiling the walls or just painting them? If just painting, then why are you using cement board?

Old 01-28-09, 05:14 PM
Hi All,

I have/had a water problem, sometimes but not always.

I decided to concrete board as I got tired of replacing the drywall whenever it got wet and then moldy. I sealed the walls and shellaced the wood supports plus insulated with stryrofoam and plastic for vapour barrier. The sump pump is in the bathroom and I have a submersible sump with a flush covering made of plexiglass & vented. I will probably tile over it but it has hinges to open.
Hope you can picture it and I would like to make it as nice as possible and it may get wet so I will use a good bathroom paint for the moisture but first I have to finish the walls?
What to do?

Thx
Randy

Old 01-28-09, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Randy, anything that has tile or comes in direct contact with water, should have cement board, or a waterproofing membrane.

If you have that much moisture problems, I would install a good exhaust fan or get a good dehumidifier.

Can you take some pictures for us? Upload them to a photosharing site (photobucket, Flicker) and post the IMG url back here.

Old 02-03-09, 09:10 AM
Hi, I cannot get my digital going therefore I will try to describe. The moisture is/was coming from wall seepage why I put concrete board on the bottom. Do you use compound and tape or is there a new product out there that is water resistant for the seems?

Old 02-03-09, 02:00 PM
T
I'm imagining you used cbu along the bottom say 1ft of wall and you want to join it to regular sheetrock walls?

If so, finish it like a normal sheetrock joint, but jsut like sheetrock, it should not be installed directly against the floor, and for visible wall joints between cbu and sheetrock, I always use setting type compound (powdered form) which sets up much quicker. Wipe the cbu with a sponge first so it doesn't drink the moisture out of your compound. You might find (depending upon paint color) that you need a second coat of primer over the cbu.

Old 02-04-09, 02:59 PM
Thanks,
exactly what I was looking for. Just thought there might be a new compound out there that was water proof, just in case it got that high but not likely!
I guess I am trying to be over constructive. Watching too much Holmes on homes.
The CBU has pits in it, just compound over them to finish?

Thx
Randy

Old 02-05-09, 08:30 AM
T
Yes, just coat the compound over it. It's more plaster based and doesn't mold or soften like regular joint compound.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: