Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Retile backsplash - replace or repair sheetrock?

Old 02-24-09, 10:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Currently I have 8x8 ceramic tile as a backsplash. I am going to have a new tile back splash installed and would like to know if the sheetrock behind can be repaired or if new sheetrock must be patched in. I am assuming that the mastic will rip the paper off when the existing tile is removed.

Old 02-25-09, 04:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If it was a good install, whoever removes your tile will probably destroy the wall, more so than just tearing the paper. If they are successful in only tearing the paper, you can skim coat it and reinstall your new tile. But it will be a judgment call once the tile is down, whether or not to replace the sheetrock. While not necessary 100%, if you have to replace the sheetrock, I would replace it with either 1/2 concrete backer underlayment or greenboard. I say not necessary since it is not a high moisture area. The underlayment will give a more substantial backing than just plain sheetrock.

Old 03-01-09, 09:20 PM
A
sheetrock

I've found that the paper almost always pulls away when the tile comes off, so you'll have to skim coat it. If it's a large section, would be easier to replace the sheetrock.

Old 03-01-09, 11:08 PM
M
I am going to try to remove the tile myself thinking that I can take as much time as I want to and a contractor would remove them quickly tearing the paper. I will look for a wide blade putty knife and hammer to try to do it neatly and with minimal damage.

Old 03-02-09, 01:55 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
New drywall is cheap. You will likely spend lots of time with unsatisfactory results. Best bet is to remove the tile and drywall and install new drywall. You'll be starting with a nice new flat surface to set the tile.

You'll have more labor trying to fix the chopped up drywall than you will installing new drywall.

Old 03-02-09, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Johnny.

Drywall will be a breeze compared to attempting to repair the old.

Old 03-02-09, 06:11 PM
M
What I need help understanding is where I would cut the to. The full-height tile on the back splash runs from the counter up to the bottom up the cabinet. If the tile is removed and all the sheetrock too, there is nothing to mud and tape the sheet rock to except at each end of the counter.

Do I leave 1" above the counter and 1" below the cabinet so there is a surface to tape too?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: