Ending chair rail at an outside corner.

Old 03-09-09, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ending chair rail at an outside corner.

I'm tiling my bathroom with 3x6 tiles and tiling to 42" in the room and the ceiling in the shower. I'm topping the tile with chair rail that will not go into the shower. On the flat wall I ended the chair rail with an outside corner piece and cut a field tile around that outside piece. Not perfect, but not bad.

I'm at a dilemma for ending the chair rail on the corner leading into the other end of the shower. I have another outside corner piece, but putting it close to the shower will make filling it in with a cut tile piece both difficult and weird looking. Ideally I would finish it flush, i.e. vertically, rather than shaped, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that.

Here's a couple of pics I found elsewhere, with one solution. I'm wondering if there are others. One I thought of was cutting a field tile around the small corner piece I did, but I'm not sure that would look all that clean.

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile - View Single Post - Tricks of the Trade

Thanks, Jimbo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-09, 04:35 PM
With wood, we do what is called a return. A small piece cut at 45deg that fits the piece and turns it into the wall. Harder to do with tile. You need a really good saw and good tile.

Old 03-10-09, 12:08 PM
Jimbo -

I was just dealing with the same thing in my bathroom remodel these past 2 weeks. I'm no pro, so take this as you will, but I mitred the chair rail to wrap around the corner, then ended it with a rounded cap for the chair rail. Mine was ending on sheetrock, though. I suppose you could cut a rectangular notch in the field tile that will fit the chair rail cap, and let the grout do the filling in of all the leftover space the fancy cap leaves in the notch. Orrrr, if you've got a Dremel you could get a tile cutting bit and try and cut the silhouette of the chair rail cap into the field tile for a tighter match. That seems like a recipe for frustration though!

Old 03-10-09, 12:11 PM