cement backerboard

Old 04-05-09, 08:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cement backerboard

im redoing my shower in the basement.im going to put up cement board and use a plastic paneling that i get from a panel house.will liquid nailsbe ok the adhear the paneling to the board or use something else?.will the backer board soak up the glue.i guess thats what im asking thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-09, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm guessing the panels are some sort of FRP? Not a pressboard panel with a coating on the surface? You should use the right adhesive as recommended by the manufacturer. Some types of Liqud Nail can "burn" though and leave discolored lines on the panel.

The adhesive should adhere to the backer no problem. Just follow the instructions on letting the adhesive set-up correctly.

I'll leave any questions about waterbarriers and such to the pros.

Old 04-05-09, 09:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why are you using cement board if you have panels? Did the manufacturer instructions say so?

The backerboard won't suck up the adhesive, but the board tends to suck moisture. I would just dampen the board down with a wet sponge first to be safe.

Old 04-05-09, 02:27 PM
M
other than cement backer what would use in the shower area? they come in 4 by 8 sheets and i would just caulk the corners and bottom.

Old 04-05-09, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
mud...the FRP panels are completely waterproof. The only weak spot is the joints as you know. Eventually caulk will fail and let leaks get through, even if you don't see it. The backerboard and a moisture barrier will keep it from getting to the framing. Cement backerboard is not waterproof, just it won't fall apart and mold/rot like sheetrock.

No reason NOT to use it, just more expensive.

Lots of people where I used to live, would use sheet plastic, sheetrock and FRP..but you couldn't expect them to last w/o mold forming.

Old 04-05-09, 03:13 PM
M
ok thanks. but you use caulk to seal around a tub to the surroud that goes around a tub and shower. what would you use to seal the corners , any ideas?. wall studs, then plastic sheet, then wall board ,then frp board?

Old 04-05-09, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
No expert..but yeah, the inside corner beads designed for the panels and caulk..thats about all you can do. The beads are less than $2 for each 8' piece.

Old 04-05-09, 04:02 PM
M
thanks for the replys. it is a pvc panel that i will be using and liquid nails has a adhesive that will work ,thanks again