Replacing old shower...silly question

Old 04-07-09, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing old shower...silly question

Please don't laugh, even though I know this is probably the dumbest question you've ever heard.

I have a second bathroom in my basement that has a "shower" (VERY loosely used term), and I need to replace it so that it's useable--most likely with a prefab shower unit. I just measured the "shower" and it's 32" wide and 31.25" deep....I haven't seen a prefab unit that small, do they make one? Or did I measure incorrectly? Measured across area where faucet is from the back wall to the door (32") and then down the back side (31.25")

Do you think they screwed up royally on the "shower" install because it was too small of an area? I know since we have to replace the studs and drywall around the shower (long story) that we can knock out the little short wall by the door, but that isn't really going to add more space in except maybe a couple of inches down the back side. I also know we can't make it any wider than 32" (or whatever the current measurement is if I messed it up) because otherwise you'll walk into the toilet.

OK, maybe I'll just post some pictures...mull this over while I get my camera and then upload them.

Old 04-07-09, 02:12 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Use photobucket.com or other and post the link over here.
Not my speciality, but I believe you should be able to locate a stall that size. Others will jump in so stay tuned.

Best
Bud

Old 04-07-09, 02:30 PM
This one shows the proximity of the toilet that will thwart us a bit.

The door doesn't QUITE hit the toilet, but it's pretty close.

See why it needs replacement?

This is the "short wall" that could possibly go....stay tuned for a slightly different view of it.

Same "short wall", but shows why the shower really can't come out any further--door entering the bathroom (shown in background) is 1' 11" wide--can't make it any narrower, not sure it's even to code anymore as it is. Plus the switch will have to go next to the door if that wall goes.

This is the "front" I measured from the corner to the inside edge of the shower door and got the 32" I mentioned earlier.

Hopefully, these will help a bit...a photographer I am NOT. Can't remember if I mentioned this, but yes, we are aware that we will have to replace the studs/drywall behind that chipboard stuff...we're ready (and excited) about demolishing it, we just wanted to make sure we had measurements in hand first.

Last edited by Capable_Wife; 04-07-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh my.....that is one heck of a "shower" you got there...

You will need to search for a shower receptor, which is what you got. It's basically a plastic base, with seperate plastic wall panels.

Normally, you would measure from stud to stud, since the receptor nails to them.

Edit.

Well, upon further looking, is that just a concrete slab right now? You may find it easier to install a traditional mud pan for the base.

Old 04-07-09, 03:27 PM
Hi there,

I think that your best option is a corner shower unit
I know that Dreamline has a corner unit --> Sector Shower Enclosure, with 30 3/4" x 30 3/4" x 72 7/8" and another one (Crystal Shower Enclosure) with 31 7/8" x 31 7/8" x 72 7/8", so you will be fine

Old 04-07-09, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Oh my.....that is one heck of a "shower" you got there...

You will need to search for a shower receptor, which is what you got. It's basically a plastic base, with separate plastic wall panels.

Normally, you would measure from stud to stud, since the receptor nails to them.

Edit.

Well, upon further looking, is that just a concrete slab right now? You may find it easier to install a traditional mud pan for the base.
Yes, it's pretty awful...especially when you see it with that horrible green paint!

Well, we've kind of got a clean slate as far as the studs go--since we're gonna have to probably replace them anyway...my hubby mentioned "tying in" some new bottom pieces or something like that, but I think we'd be better off in the long run to just take them out and do it right.

And yes, that is just the concrete from the foundation with a drain in it. Not sure what a "mud pan" is?

What I was thinking of putting in is something like this:

and I think it has a "pan" that comes with the kit...is that what you were referring to?

Old 04-07-09, 07:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mud pans are used if you wanted a tiled shower floor. It's basically portland cement and sand layer, then a liner, then another mud layer.

If you don't plan on tiling the shower floor, disregard the "mud pan."

I wonder if there is a p-trap under that drain....

Old 04-07-09, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Mud pans are used if you wanted a tiled shower floor. It's basically portland cement and sand layer, then a liner, then another mud layer.

If you don't plan on tiling the shower floor, disregard the "mud pan."

I wonder if there is a p-trap under that drain....
No, I wasn't thinking of putting tile down--since it's just a spare bathroom, I figured we'd fix it as economically as we can. There's a lot of other things that need fixed and are more important than this shower that we don't really need.

I have no idea if there's a P-trap or not....I'll keep an eye out though, when we start doing the demo.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: