Using Purple Sheetrock Around Tub/Shower

Old 04-07-09, 02:04 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using Purple Sheetrock Around Tub/Shower

All,

I recently hired a sheetrock company to install sheetrock in my basement. Upon completion I noticed they had installed a purple colored sheetrock that is moisture resistant around the area for the tub. My plans are to tile in the entire tub/shower area but noticed some concerns over using the purple board as a tile backer... The drywall is up and they just finished mudding/sanding... All the corners are trimmed and its ready for paint throughout.

Will it be ok to continue with tiling over the existing purple board around the tub/shower? Or do I need to completely tear it out and replace it with a cement backer board?

Obviously, I would prefer to not tear down the existing work, especially since the mudding/sanding is now complete. At the same time, I would rather do it right now versus having to correct it later.

PS. I will be installing 12x24" tiles on the walls

Regards,
Wayne

Old 04-07-09, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No drywall of any kind should be used in a shower application UNLESS it's covered with a waterproofing membrane, like Schluter Kerdi or similar.

Also, plastic mositure barrier should have been stapled to the studs, then a cement backboard used.

Don't let them say, "I've been installing this stuff for 8000 years...", it just shows they are not up to industry standards and materials.

Old 04-07-09, 02:59 PM
D
I noticed that Home Depot carries a product called Ditra. Is that the same thing you referenced below? Or does it differ?

Old 04-07-09, 03:20 PM
J
Purple is the new green, but not sure if it is, indeed, moisture resistent, or just a different color. Only time will tell. According to the manufacturers, it is, but they said that about greenboard.

Old 04-07-09, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by dwoverst
I noticed that Home Depot carries a product called Ditra. Is that the same thing you referenced below? Or does it differ?
Ditra is meant for the floor as a uncoupling membrane.

Old 04-07-09, 07:35 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Bill
Purple is the new green, but not sure if it is, indeed, moisture resistent, or just a different color. Only time will tell. According to the manufacturers, it is, but they said that about greenboard.

Last I was aware, blue is the new green. The only purple sheetrock I know of is High impact resitant rock or High abuse resistant rock made by National Gypsum.. It has a mesh of (I think) fiberglass in it and it extremely tough. It is not water proof or even water resistant.

Dense-shield is the proper rock for tile backer. Not to argue with hotinokc but the manufacturer states there is no need for kerdi on the walls if the rock is prepared and finished properly. You still have to address the base properly and there does need to be some sort of overlap membrane up to the rock.

Dens-shield

After I posted this, I realized I needed to edit.

Blueboard is a moisture resistant board especially designed for a plaster application. Greenboard is what used to be approved for tile backer. I believe it is not longer acceptable per building codes for the purpose.

Old 04-08-09, 07:10 AM
D
So based on the responses below I've ordered the cement backer board... Looks like I will be taking down the existing purple board and replacing it with the backer board... Unfortunately, this is going to be a mess!

How easy is this stuff to cut? Do I need any special tools for cutting? Also, once I put up the backer board will I need to seal the gaps at the bottom of the tub to keep moisture out from behind the wall?

Old 04-08-09, 02:21 PM
NEver worked with this purple stuff, but, if it's like any other drywall, I would score a line down the face of the drywall where the cement board would be, then punch a hole through the wall and start pulling it off.

You would then have to staple plastic barrier to the studs and have it drape down into the tub. With the plastic up, install your cement board over the studs and have the board sit about 1/8th - 1/4" off the tub flange. With the board up, you can trim the plastic barrier.

Old 04-08-09, 03:23 PM
J
Nap......blue board has been around for a long time. It is used for skim coat plaster.

Old 04-08-09, 08:28 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Bill
Nap......blue board has been around for a long time. It is used for skim coat plaster.
Um, Bill. Did you miss the edit I threw in there immediately after I posted?

Blueboard is a moisture resistant board especially designed for a plaster application.
HotinOKC; if this is the board with the reinforcement, you aren't punching a hole in it (really). It is extremely tough and you would need to cut a hole in it.

Old 04-09-09, 08:12 AM
D
Correct, punching a hole in it was extremely difficult. I scored the edges and cut the board into with a skill saw then used a screw driver to pull it out and then tore it off the wall.

After about 2 hours, I was able to take down the purple board and replace it with the cement board. One minor problem. On the corner of the tub there was a gap where the board meets the tub due to the way the flange on the top of the tub was made...Unfortunately, I was unable to cover it with the cement board. Any suggestions for sealing off those holes/seams on the cement board? Should I just use the mortar to seal the joints where the boards come together?

Old 05-29-10, 03:26 PM
D
Purpel rock is just fine

You have been mislead my friend, and you have now wasted time and money. You should have trusted the pro. Purple sheetrock is highly resistive to mold, damage, and water. It is used on the exterior of commercial buildings and many other applications such as showers. Purple sheet rock is known as XP Sheetrock and should your code official object direct him to to the XP specs where the product meets or exceeds All ASTM C 630 requirements for tub/showers enclosures.

Old 05-30-10, 03:38 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Nonsense

This stuff should not be used in wet areas. Its nothing more than a high end sheetrock. Heres a link to the specs. The manufacturer makes no claims that it can be used in shower applications.

National Gypsum Company: Gold Bond, ProForm, XP Gypsum Board, PermaBase Products and More

Old 02-19-13, 09:14 PM
N
The link I keep seeing posted is for the wrong product.
National Gypsum Company

Old 02-20-13, 02:42 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Naturalhazard, welcome to the forums. This is a 3 year old post, so hopefully they got their project done. Regardless of the link, National Gypsum does not make a product that can be used in a shower area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: