Bathrooms

Old 05-28-09, 09:26 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Bathrooms

How do you prep. lino (20 yrs. old, advised not to pull it up, as may contain asbestos) to lay ceramic tile?
Is there a way to refinish or paint existing acrylic bathtub?

Old 05-29-09, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can lay your concrete backer underlayment directly on the linoleum after a layer of thinset. Use the cbu screws and the attachment pattern recommended by the manufacturer. You can lay your tile on that. You wont' notice the difference in height considering the linoleum.

Old 05-31-09, 10:40 PM
M
I was faced with the same dilemma. I had the linoleum tested for asbestos and it was negative. Pulled up the linoleum + plywood and had another layer of linoleum and plywood. Stopped and had that tested as well. You can always cut a small sample of flooring and send it to a lab be tested if you're worried about floor height or water damage like I was. Be sure to find the lab first and ask them the best way to get a flooring sample for them.

Old 06-04-09, 07:38 PM
A
bathroom floor

We had a similar experience, but just went right over the linoleum, figuring it was less mess and potential airborne issues. I would check to see if the door will open o.k. before you do, however. The lino is thin, but you never know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: