Kitchen Backsplash questions

Old 06-08-09, 07:16 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Kitchen Backsplash questions

I'm attempting to tile the kitchen backsplash, but have a few questions.

What type of adhesive is recommended? I have three different types of tile: Tumbled Marble (2"x4") on a 12x12 sheet - glass tile - and a rock assortment on a 3"x12" sheet. Do I use the same adhesive for all of the tiles?

When putting up the transparent glass tiles will the notches in the adhesive show through the tile?

I have to tile around the window. The window will have casing on the sides, plus a granite sill. The granite guy said to put the tile up first then he'll come and cut the granite sill to fit. Do I put up the molding first and then install tile up against it? Or do I install tile, then molding?

Old 06-09-09, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1) each type of tile will have recommended adhesive for the type of you tile you are using. Ask for assistance from the retailer you are purchasing the tile from.
2). Yes it will. Lay the mastic flat on the wall and butter the back of the glass tile. If using a group of glass tiles on a mesh backer, clean out the grout grooves since some mastic will squeeze through.
3) I've seen it done where the tiles end just inside where the casing goes, but that requires additional scribing of the casing to get it to work. I prefer to install the window casing first then tile to the casing. The gap between the casing and the tile then gets caulked. The granite guy is correct. Tile first then install the sill (actually called a stool).
Don't forget to seal the marble and stone with a high quality sealer. Stones are highly absorbent and will stain quickly if you fail to seal them. Read the instructions on how often to seal the stone.

Good luck

Old 06-12-09, 05:56 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Just saw this.

Mastic should never be used with any natural stone as it can cause perminent staining and discoloration. Likewise it should not be used with glass tile.

That sounds like a pretty busy backsplash. Post some pics when you are done.

Most glass tile manufacturers have a list of thinsets that can be used with their tile. Pick one from the list, and you can use that to install the stone tile as well. The manufacturer will also have instructions for setting the tile that will include telling you to knock down the ridges so that the lines will not be visible through the glass tile.

Old 06-12-09, 06:06 AM
I guess if I confused HeresJohnny my thoughts weren't well worded. I was using "mastic" in the same generic sense as "adhesive" or "stuff you use to stick the tiles up with". As I stated in point #1, check with the manufacturer or store where purchased to determine which material to use with each product.
Later, Joe

Old 06-12-09, 06:12 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Joe

I understand, however I did not want this poster to go to the store and buy mastic. Mastic is a specific type of adhesive that will be problematic with natural stone and glass tile. No offense intended, just trying to clarify.

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 06-12-09 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-20-09, 12:10 PM
J
I put up the tile and now I'm ready to grout. Not sure how to post pictures on this site? Some more questions in preparation of grouting. Again I have three types of tile in this busy back splash - tumbled marble, glass, and a mosaic made up of broken porcelain (i think). Do I need to seal the tile before and after grouting? What type of sealer do I use? How do you seal the tiles? How often? Do I grout where the tile meets the granite counter top or where the tiles meet in the corners or where the tile meets the bottom of the upper cabinets? What type of grout do I use? I've read that I should use un-sanded grout since I have some glass tiles.

Old 07-20-09, 01:37 PM
In order to set an image here follow these easy steps-->
1 - upload your picture to a free online photoalbum like Photobucket or Flickr , for example
2 - Look for the link of your picture (usually, photoalbums provide a "link for a forum" script) --> copy the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located),
3 - In the DIY Forum--> Reply post or open a new post--> Press the 'Insert Image' icon above and paste the link--> or type after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image

Old 07-20-09, 05:05 PM
For the marble you should seal it before you grout. Find a sealer suitable for marble. Porcelain...you think. Drop some water on left over pieces. If it beads up and does not get absorbed, you're okay. Doesn't need to be sealed. Probably ceramic or porcelain. If it absorbs the water, then it will need to be sealed prior to grouting. How wide are the grout joints? That will determine sanded or unsanded. Less than 1/8 inch, you can use unsanded. More than that you should use sanded as it adds strength. When you purchase the grout, purchase caulk from the grout manufacturer to match the grout. Rule of thumb is whenever a plane change occurs (corners, at counter top, under cabinet, etc.), use grout else it will crack. You can purchase grout which does not need sealing, but check the specs of the grout on whether it needs to be sealed or not. Good luck!

Old 07-24-09, 07:02 PM
J
The broken tile pieces are porcelain so they don't need to be sealed. The grout joints are all 1/8" so I'll use the sanded stuff. Hopefully I will not scratch the glass tile with the sanded grout. My plan is as follows:

- first seal the marble
- Grout all joints using sanded grout
- apply matching sanded caulk b/w countertop/corner/under cabinet
- seal the marble again

do I need to seal the grout and caulk?

Old 07-24-09, 08:57 PM
First things first. I just saw a typo in my last message. Use CAULK whenever there is a plane change (corners, at counter top, under cabinet, etc.) DO NOT USE GROUT. But I think you figured out what I meant. You do not seal the caulk. The tube will tell you how long to let it cure before you get it wet.

I have used sanded grout with glass tiles with no problem, but if you are concerned, and the tiles are large, you can mask them off with tape.

As for the grout, if you buy grout that needs to be sealed, the instructions on the grout will tell you how long to wait for the grout to cure before you seal it. Note you can buy grout that contains sealer in it. I've used it and it works well. Don't scrimp on the cheapo sealer. Use some thing that will last more than a year or two. The tile center where you buy the grout will help you with that. Read the instructions on the sealer carefully. Use as directed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: