Cast iron tub removal

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-09, 03:36 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cast iron tub removal

Today i searched forums on how to remove a cast iron tub After
all answers suggested a sledgehammer, i tried a 4 1/2 inch grinder with a metal cutting blade.To me it proved easier than the sledge idea.Its a small bath soon to be 3 foot deeper. It took 5 blades and about an hour and a half. i would cut about 6 inches at a time (grinder gets Hot) Just thought to pass it on ,to me it beat wall removal
reelwood in Philly Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-09, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, sledge, face protection and long sleeves would have taken about 5 min and no cost for discs....but whatever works..works!

Old 07-08-09, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Also less chance of starting a fire.

Old 07-08-09, 06:31 PM
C
i took one out in 1 piece, by myself .

Old 07-08-09, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
condo..I'm guessing that may have been steel..not cast iron. Most cast iron weigh about 300 lbs or so. If it was cast..man..stay away from me!!! LOL.

Old 07-08-09, 06:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have taken out at least one but not by myself. Main problem was a thick set mortar base for the tile floor that went in after the tub. Removed the Sheetrock part way up in the room behind the tub so me and my helper could pry it up a little bit at a time and place blocks. Then when high enough slid it on 2X4s out on to the bath room floor then using pipes rolled it out.

Old 07-08-09, 07:04 PM
G
By BeefJerky on Contractor talk: Here's the secret.

Step
1 - Remove drain and overflow

2 - Sledge around perimeter of valley inside tub. You will be able to break completely thru with minimal effort.

3 - Whack and crack corners of tub walls. (Inside tub)

4 - Next whack and crack all 4 corners by hitting down on top rails at the corners.

5 - This will give you 5 manageable pieces one man can easily manage. The piece with skirt and front interior wall of the tub is hard for some to carry. If necessary break in half by whacking center of skirt, then center interior tub wall, and finally one good crack center top rail.

You will wind up with 5 -6 nice chunks of iron, 10 - 15 lbs. of chunks and bits, 1/2 dustpan full of really sharp shards of porcelain.

This is a 30 -60 minute job. All moaning, groaning, and catching your wind breaks included. Be safe, G

Old 07-09-09, 06:25 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
GBR

Good info, and very methodical.

I've always used a sledge to bust them up and remove managable pieces. Wear eye protection and cover anything that you don't want to get damaged (old furniture moving pads are good for this). Work gloves are a good idea also.

Busting up a cast iron tub can be done in a 1/2 hour or so. I cannot imagine trying to remove one of these monsters in one piece. Condo-owner you must have one helluva back man.

Old 07-13-09, 08:03 PM
C
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
condo..I'm guessing that may have been steel..not cast iron. Most cast iron weigh about 300 lbs or so. If it was cast..man..stay away from me!!! LOL.
it WAS cast iron. and it was every bit of 300#. not only that, it was between 2 walls, as in, walls on 3 sides. after i muscled it loose, i placed it on an old comforter and dragged it to the curb.

now, you gonna buy me that beer ? Beer 4U2

Old 07-14-09, 04:50 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
now, you gonna buy me that beer ?
Wow, if he doesnt, I will.

Old 07-15-09, 02:53 PM
A
tub

Our contractor likes to tell the story of his dad, who was a plumber, and used to carry them out on his back. Obviously his back didn't hold out for very long! Thanks for the step by step -- will store away for future reference.

Old 10-22-12, 02:29 PM
R
I also used a 4.5 inch grinder and cut through the porcelain, and scored the cast iron about 1/8 deep. I then made about 4 cuts about 2 inches long in the scored mark through the cast. I inserted a mild steel wedge into the cuts and hit it with a 2lb hammer. It opened the scored marks after about 4 good hits. I cut the tub into 3 peices and it was a lot easier to handle. The reason for using mild steel wedges, unlike a hardened chisel they won't shatter and a lot safer.

Old 03-19-13, 08:06 PM
Thanks GBR in WA

Following the instructions you gave I removed a cast iron tub by first using a sledge hammer to whack around the perimeter at the inside bottom of the side. I had been whacking the top, but couldn't get it to break. But, after only a few whacks following your instructions, I was able to open the first hole. After that, and a few rest periods, I got it busted up enough to carry the pieces outside.

Old 03-20-13, 11:42 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Glad you got it and thanks for the feedback, Fred.

Mod Note: This thread is now closed to further posts. New threads with new questions are always welcome.

Closed Thread