Tub Refinishing/Reglazing?

Old 07-10-09, 08:41 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub Refinishing/Reglazing?

My wife and I recently purchased a home and don't want to redo the bathroom just yet, but in a few years. The only thing that could use a little sprucing up is the tub (steel tub with enamel or porcelain coating that have hairline crack and rust showing through).

So we are looking into having it re-glazed/refinishing and see there are a number of different products being used. No one says what they are are using just the typical story of what they use is better then the other guys. Basically I am making my decision on the guy that gives the best warranty and answers my questions as best as possible.

I am on Long Island, in New York just wondering if any other DIYer's have some suggestions for who to use or not use or what product seem to hold up and ones that have failed.

I looked into doing it myself and didn't come across any ways that would be DIYer friendly or recommended.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-09, 11:49 AM
Hi there

In my experience, the tub refinishing process doesn't work, no matter if you DIY with a kit or you call a pro.
I saw many "guaranteed" works peel in less than 2 years

There are several interesting discussions and pictures about this issue in this Forum, just perform a search with the keywords "tub paint"

Old 07-10-09, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
A tub insert might be a more viable option..but I don't think they are very inexpensive.

Old 07-10-09, 01:02 PM
B
I am not looking to get 10 years out of it, I am thinking 5 years before I redo the entire bathroom if not sooner. All depends on what other projects suck up the funds and my time. For $300 to $400 I will be happy if it holds up till then, and if it does not I will be calling who ever does it to fix it.

I don't really see any other "quick fix" that it worth the time or money.

Old 07-15-09, 06:08 PM
A
tub refinishing

We have done tub refinishing 4-5 times in different houses, different tubs and I can say it has held up for three years in this house. We moved after a year in the previous house, so not sure how it held up. We had a company do it to avoid all the chemicals and hassle. It was about $350, which was well worth it.

Old 07-15-09, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Allison1888 View Post
We had a company do it to avoid all the chemicals and hassle.
Are you sure?
The companies use LOTS of chemicals and once the coating starts to peel, these chemicals go directly to you