Tile and an Unlevel Floor...

Old 10-06-09, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile and an Unlevel Floor...

I have a bathroom/laundry room that I'm treating as single room (same tile, same wall color, etc).

In the middle of this room is a drain and a pretty sharp slope leading up to the drain.

This is how the floor looks currently...

Ignoring the missing title - is this 'acceptable'? It looks awfully bad to me.

I'm wondering if it is possible for me to level out the floor enough that the tiles don't need to be broken; but that there is still a slope leading down to the drain. Is that something I could reasonably do?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-09, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also - could anyone give me advice on tiling underneath the hot water heater? Is that something I can easily move, tile under, and move back over the tiles - or should I do my best to just tile around it? Or not even try?

Old 10-06-09, 11:34 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Rob

The floor needs to be pitched toward the drain, yeah thats obvious, I know. When you have a floor thats pitched to a drain like this, you need to use much smaller tile so that it can conform to the pitch. 3"x3" tile or smaller is what you need to use. There's really no way to get tile that size to conform to the slope.

As to the water heater, you need to either remove, then tile, then reinstall it. You could tile around it, however it won't look great. If you do that, save enough tile so that if you have to replace the water heater some day, you can fill in the space.