In what order do you remodel a bathroom?

Old 12-06-09, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In what order do you remodel a bathroom?

I have a small warehouse condo with a 5x6 foot bathroom in the back corner. I demolished everything including the 2 stud walls and ceiling so that I can rebuild it as a 5x3 bathroom and gain extra warehouse floor space. In what order do I start to rebuild it? I assume I start with framing the new walls and ceiling, but then what? Tile the floor? Install the toilet before or after the tiling the floor? Drywall the walls? Drywall the ceiling? Install the ceiling light fixture before or after drywalling the ceiling? The "exterior" side of the walls and ceiling will be exposed to do the electrical and plumbing. I'll just have a low rise toilet with a small sink directly above it to save space, plus a ceiling light.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-09, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
As long as there is no problem with the electrical or plumbing, you can start with the drywall, 1st the ceiling and then the walls. Tile can go in at any point after the walls are finished, preferably before plumbing. Electrical gets finished after painting.

Old 12-06-09, 06:48 AM
1. planning
2. planning
3. framing
4. plumbing rough in
5. electrical rough in
6. dry wall
7. paint
8. tile
9. fixtures
10. plumbing finish
11. electrical finish

I prefer to paint before the tile is down and tile before installing fixtures. There's less chance of an oops that way.

Old 12-06-09, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
#1 and #2 - very good point!!!

Old 12-06-09, 07:07 AM
The two corner walls are painted cinder blocks. I can leave them the way they are but wouldn’t mind something nicer. Can I glue drywall onto them? Can I tile directly onto them?

Old 12-06-09, 11:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's never a good idea to install drywall directly to masonary but you can install PT furring strips [insulate between strips] and then install the drywall to the strips. I doubt you could get tile to adhere to painted block but you could lay tile on the drywall or better yet cement board [in place of drywall]

Old 12-10-09, 12:53 PM
I like your steps and yes #1 and 2 are key.

Marksr
do you have to drwall the ceiling first? if so why?

I ask because im ready to drywall my walls and i was going to leave the ceiling bare and do it later once i know what to do about the fixtures

Old 12-10-09, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't have to drywall the ceiling first but it makes for an easier and better job. The drywall on the wall helps to hold the edge of the ceiling drywall up and even. On the wall that is parallel to the ceiling joist, it might be difficult to get a good bite to the joist along the edge with wall in the way [harder to screw into the middle of the 2x]

Old 04-17-10, 03:52 PM
I have everything framed. The interior floor space turned out to be 2 1/2' x 5'. I installed the ceiling recessed lights including an IR heat lamp, I wired everything, and I put up the ceiling drywall. 5/8 fire rated and 5 holes for the lights. Next thing is the inside walls. I'm looking to do it with 24"x24" granite tiles. The tile store said it could go on the cinder block wall directly and with cement board on the framing. One wall will be 2 1/2'x 7 1/2'. Can I cut 6 inches off two 3x5 cement boards and install them vertically? Can the bottom piece be touching the concrete floor before I screw it into the framing?

Old 04-18-10, 04:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the tile store know that your block wall is painted? Will the lack of insulation on the block wall be an issue?

As far as I know [painter not a tile guy] it doesn't matter which direction the cement board is hung as long as it's securely attached to the framing. Unlike drywall, cement board shouldn't be affected by touching the concrete floor.

Old 04-18-10, 06:01 AM
I mentioned the wall was painted but they said as long as it's scuffed up and I use some special thinset it would be OK. There is another unit on the other side of the wall so insulation isn't an issue.

Old 04-21-10, 08:14 AM
I don't understand how a bathroom could be only 30" wide. How can you put a sink or a toilet in there?

Old 04-21-10, 08:28 AM
Hi Timinindy

In this page,
Bathroom Planning Guidelines with Access Standards
you can check the min dims for a bathroom
As you will see the min clearance for a toilet is 15" (side) so even with 30", he'll be fine. However, the recommended clearance is 18"

Old 04-21-10, 08:30 AM
Here is the toilet:

And above and behind the toilet I'm putting this sink:

It's only 19 inches wide so there is plenty of room.

Old 04-21-10, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
The two corner walls are painted cinder blocks. I can leave them the way they are but wouldn’t mind something nicer. Can I glue drywall onto them? Can I tile directly onto them?
since this is a warehouse bathroom, i suggest using FRP on the walls.. Looks good, and eliminates the need to do a GOOD spackle job, and you should be able to install it directly to concrete or onto furring strips.