Tub Wall Surround-can you use thin set?

Old 12-18-09, 07:28 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub Wall Surround-can you use thin set?

I noticed my builder used thin set to adhere my wall surround to the green board. I know that adhesive is the standard for this, and I'm wondering why he used thin set? Of note, the surround is a "heavier duty" style ASB Tuff 'n Easy that's 2-3 times thicker than the average surround. Could that be why he used thin set?

Old 12-18-09, 08:20 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What is required by the installation instructions?

Thin set is a description used with two different types of tile bonding materials. One is cement based thin set mortar which is preferred for wet areas and the other is a thin set mastic which is an organic adhesive.

Old 12-18-09, 08:29 AM
S
Any of the following is required:
• Franklin MultiBond
• Macco Adhesives’ Liquid Nails for Tub Surrounds (LN -915)
• Dap 2000 Construction Adhesive
• Macklanburg-Duncan Adhesive (suitable for polystyrene)

He used thin set mortar.

Old 12-18-09, 08:52 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Was it bags of dry mortar he mixed with water? Did you ask him about it. Certainly regular thinset won't work.

Old 12-18-09, 01:01 PM
J
Wayne,

A comment that is relevant yet a bit off topic.

Thin set (noun) is by definition MUST be made from Portland cement. It comes only in powder form in a bag.

Most if not all manufacturers of tile setting products feel it is necessary to call some of their mastics "pre-mixed thin set". I guess it's to expand their sales, certainly not to give customers a good choice.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to make pre-mixed thin set mortar, put it in a bucket and not have it become an anchor for your boat. It's a lie that they all speel.

The other definition of "thin set" (verb), is the method of setting tiles over a substrate such as cement backer or a special membrane without make a mud base first. When confronted, a few have claimed they were referring to the method and not "real thin set mortar". I think they should be politicians.

Jaz

Old 12-18-09, 02:57 PM
W
Can you show me the source where thin set is defined as solely a mortar based product? I always understood thinset to mean an application or installation process and the added word mortar to identify a cement based product.

Old 12-18-09, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You won't find it defined as what Jaz mentioned, but mentioned in the trade, it's synonymous with "mortar", and thinset mortar is defined as:

Thinset mortar is a blend of cement, very finely graded sand, and a water retention compound that allows the cement to properly hydrate. Tile set by the thinset method is adhered to the substrate with a thin layer of "thinset" cement. The terms thinset cement, thinset mortar, dryset mortar and drybond mortar are synonymous. This type of cement is designed to adhere well in a thin layer - typically not greater than 3/16th thick. For example, a 3/8" notch trowel will produce a 3/16th inch thick coating after the tiles are pressed in to the cement. While very minor adjustments in height can be made, this method is not appropriate for adjusting the level or flatness of a surface - rather the tile will follow the plane of the substrate.

The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) defines the properties of thinset mortar in the A118.1 specification.

Old 12-18-09, 07:48 PM
W
The point is that "thin set" does not define the product even though people in the trade may refer to the mortar used to set tile thin set. The product is mortar.

Just because tile setting mortar is usually referred to as thin set in the trade doesn't preclude an organic mastic manufacturer from referring to their product as thinset.

Old 12-18-09, 08:52 PM
J
Nice try Wayne but............

The Portland product is thin set mortar.

Pre-Mixed organic adhesive in a bucket is not thin set mortar, I guess you agree. I say it's not even "thin set" since thin set refers to mortar and not mastic. If they wanted to be honest they would call it what it is mastic.

OK, so why does this "fine" manufacturer refer to their pre-mixed product as "Thin-Set Mortar"? Pre-Mixed Stone, Porcelain, and Ceramic Tile Thin-Set Mortar ? White :: Architects & Specification Writers :: Custom Building Products

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: