Has anyone tried IKEA kitchen cabinets ?

Old 12-24-09, 08:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone tried IKEA kitchen cabinets ?

Hi !

I am looking into replacing all my kitchen with Ikea.
I think that when you first put their cabinets, and if you do NOT remove them later to put them somewhere else, then they stay on the wall with no issue. Has anyone installed some of those in a kitchen ? If yes, can you give your experience ?

THanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-09, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by simon templar View Post
I think that when you first put their cabinets, and if you do NOT remove them later to put them somewhere else, then they stay on the wall with no issue.
Not sure if I understand your question... can you elaborate?

Old 12-25-09, 01:25 PM
S
Hi !

I just wanted to know if anyone ever installed IKEA kitchen in their condo / home.

What's the result ?
Would you do it again ?
Any issues with cabinets not hanging on the wall properly ?

Thanks

Old 12-25-09, 11:38 PM
P
I had a great experience with them. I have installed cheap Chinese flatpack cabinets, and big box store already assembled cabinets, and I will never do either again - it is straight IKEA for me, for those who are lucky enough to live near one.

Adel MB: Kitchen Remodel finished! "Review" inside - IKEA FANS

Old 12-26-09, 08:23 PM
F
there is an ENORMOUS community forum for people who have put (and love) Ikea in their kitchens. Just google.

Old 12-31-09, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by simon templar View Post
Hi !

I just wanted to know if anyone ever installed IKEA kitchen in their condo / home.

What's the result ?
Would you do it again ?
Any issues with cabinets not hanging on the wall properly ?

Thanks
I'm just finishing up putting both wall and base cabinets that are from Ikea. The "overall" quality is pretty good, although the internal content of fiber in most of the panels looks flakey. The melamine outer skin is well made. The trim panels and all of the various fittings (hindges, closures, etc.) are very well thought out. The thing that amazed me most of all was the overall design of the various modules was so precise. Everything fits perfectly.

The tricky part of installation is dealing with the imperfections in your existing walls and floor. Fortunately, I have lots of tools and enough patience to think through how to handle the imperfections.

The instructions from Ikea are good, although the individual instruction sheets for each module piece are only cartoons (no words), so you sometimes have to scratch your head trying to understand what they mean. They also include very nice poster-sized instructions (with pictures AND WORDS) for installing the completed cabinets.

The method used for installing wall cabinets uses a steel rail, which you need to install level and straight (you might need shims; and you need to locate the studs). Once the rail is up you just hang each wall module, and bolt it down.

The base cabinet installation would be the same as any other base cabinet. You need to create level lines on the wall; and, mount the first cabinet as the guide. Then, you just match the other base cabinets to the guide cabinet. All of the legs that come with the Ikea modules are adjustable in length.

The drawers just snap together in seconds. The face panel is held on with four screws, which hold a metal piece that snaps onto the drawer module. It comes back off with a phillips screwdriver turning a screw head 90 degrees on each side. The hinges and cabinet doors literally install themselves (almost). The attachment to the door is be a friction/cam lock. Two screws hold the hinge to the cabinet. All the holes are already there. Just screw in two phillips screws per hinge. All the parts of each cabinet fit perfectly.

I'm using Ikea's butch block countertop, which is both inexpensive, and (as far as I'm concerned) much more user-friendly than the various trendy stone tops. The only difficult part of using butcher block is cutting through 1-1/2" of oak. I'm now testing finishes on the butcher block (stain/no-stain, oil or urethane, etc.). At this point I'm probably just going to oil it with mineral oil (baby oil).

After this experience, my lady friend who recently spent $$$ having semi-custom cabinets installed with the (evidently required within her social set) granite counter tops, said she would use Ikea next time. After witnessing what she goes through keeping those granite tops in reasonably good shape, I'm loving the butcher block.

Old 01-06-10, 12:27 AM
F
I installed an Ikea kichen 2 years ago and love it. I have lots of thoughts about the installation, and as someone else pointed out, there is an Ikea website/forum where you can ask questions and get tips.

3 tips from me

get 4 legs for all your base cabinets. The plans call for two legs in front and a rear wall mounted plinthe. I think you have more fine-tuning (levelling) capability if you don't use the plinthe (it is a peice of crap anyway). Just pay a few bucks more for rear legs. You can adjust all legs for level by turning the base (it works like a screw).

for the rail they give you to mount your cupboards, they don't provide any screws or lag bolts. Do not use low "grade" lag bolts or screws. I drilled a pilot hole that was the correct size for the lag bolt I was using, and tourqued the head off the bolt when I was tightening it. It was probably my fault (overtightening) but this got me worried about the strength of the other bolts, and I went out and got some higher grade bolts and it gave me piece of mind, if nothing else. perhaps someone more experienced than me can comment on the best grade for bolts for the wall mount bar.

The cabinents call for you to use the cardboard-type back panel to square them up using small finishing nails. Don't trust that alone. Be sure to make two diagonal measurements to make sure the cabinet is "truly" square, then put on the cardboard back panel.

There are lots of other things that you learn the first time through, but basically I would do IKEA again in a flash.

You save money by assembling the cabinets. Which is easy. And then you save money by joining all the cabinets, levelling, plumbing, etc.

Ikea even has some online kitchen planners.

BTW, I went with butcher block counters and not only are they great, but really inexpensive.

Not sure if I can post pics on this site, but will If asked and am allowed by the site.

Old 01-06-10, 05:30 AM
Hi FarNorth17,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

In order to set an image here follow these easy steps-->
1 - upload your picture to a free online photoalbum like Photobucket or Flickr , for example
2 - Look for the link of your picture (usually, photoalbums provide a "link for a forum" script) --> copy the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located),
3 - In the DIY Forum--> Reply post or open a new post--> Press the 'Insert Image' icon above and paste the link--> or type [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image

Old 01-11-10, 08:26 PM
get 4 legs for all your base cabinets. The plans call for two legs in front and a rear wall mounted plinthe. I think you have more fine-tuning (levelling) capability if you don't use the plinthe (it is a peice of crap anyway). Just pay a few bucks more for rear legs. You can adjust all legs for level by turning the base (it works like a screw).

for the rail they give you to mount your cupboards, they don't provide any screws or lag bolts. Do not use low "grade" lag bolts or screws. I drilled a pilot hole that was the correct size for the lag bolt I was using, and tourqued the head off the bolt when I was tightening it. It was probably my fault (overtightening) but this got me worried about the strength of the other bolts, and I went out and got some higher grade bolts and it gave me piece of mind, if nothing else. perhaps someone more experienced than me can comment on the best grade for bolts for the wall mount bar.

The cabinents call for you to use the cardboard-type back panel to square them up using small finishing nails. Don't trust that alone. Be sure to make two diagonal measurements to make sure the cabinet is "truly" square, then put on the cardboard back panel.

Based on my experience:

(1) Since my wall was so NOT straight, the "plinthe" board was not effective, so I used all four legs on each cabinet. So, I agree with you.

(2) On the wall cabinet rail bolts, I used just the regular grade, but was careful to use pilot holes are are only a little smaller than the lag bolts. Thus, no problem with shearing off the bolts.

(3) I used a framing square to be sure the cabinet was square before nailing in the backing. This made sure the cabinet "box" was square.

Old 01-11-10, 09:03 PM
We bought the house now for the express reasoning from the wife that the Kitchen was "it". It was a beautiful kitchen with pine doors that looked great.

We closed and my brother in law (a contractor) walked in the kitchen and the first thing he said was, "Oh, an IKEA kitchen".

My heart dropped. I didn't even know that IKEA made kitchen cabinets at the time (5 years ago).

The cabinets do look good but they do not stay together. i 've had one base cabinet fall apart completely. All 4 legs broke and the cabinet has literally fallen apart. I've repaired it twice already.

I didn't install them, but the quality seems very poor although they do look good. Of course I have 4 children who like to slam doors, so who's to say any other cabinet wouldn't fall apart either

I installed cabinets in my parents house, and a neighbors over the last couple of months. Parents were custom cabinets and the neighbors were stock cabinets from Lowes. My personal preference would be for custom cabinets as I like the look and feel of solid wood rather than the press board usually associated with lower end cabinets. For their purpose, i think cabinets are one of those things that shouldn't be skimped on.

Of course that's just my opinion. And walking through IKEA recently, I saw some of their new stuff and it seems to be completely different from what I have (meaning higher quality)

Good Luck with your decision!