Remodeling Kitchen/Bath - Where to Begin???

Old 01-06-10, 11:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remodeling Kitchen/Bath - Where to Begin???

We just moved into a home and want to redo the master bath and kitchen. We were thinking of starting with the bath as that will be a smaller job and less complicated to figure out. We've never done major remodeling before and aren't sure how to begin. Do we call a general contractor? Or go to a specific kitchen/bath remodeling store? Do we start with a designer? We have some ideas of what we want but would be interested in seeing if they are possible or if there is something else we haven't thought of and how much it will cost. Where do we start??? TIA

Old 01-06-10, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 304 Posts
A good design is pretty much the foundation of a good remodel project. I am an electrician an have been on jobs where the home owner just "wing it" and it is nothing but frustration for me, the other trades and the home owners because changing thing on the fly does not work and ends up costing the homeowners money.

Visit a designer or architect and have a good set of detailed plans made. you can then take the plans to all your subs, lumberyards, and finish material suppliers and get rock solid bids. If the bids are out of your budget you can then make changes on paper were they will cost almost nothing.

Old 01-06-10, 04:42 PM
Hi jordangmail,

Take your time to make a plan for your project, don’t hurry, the planning time saves money. List all the family’s necessities and activities as a “What we need” list. Then, check sites, magazines, go to stores, take photographs and write a second list “What we want”
Start to imagine….and at this point you can take advantage of a Home Design program (there are several free sw in the web). Draw what is your mind, freely, you can draw the entire house or just draw pieces (“I wish a kitchen like this”). Try options; explore styles, materials…and prices.
Now, make a realistic budget as the third list “What and when we can spend.”

Now you have three lists, “Necessities”, “Wishes” and “Financial Resources” . So, is time to transform these elements in a real project, including codes, materials, structure, etc.
Of course, unless you have training and experience, call a professional for a consultation.

Old 01-07-10, 09:43 AM
G
remodel

Originally Posted by jordangmail View Post
We just moved into a home and want to redo the master bath and kitchen. We were thinking of starting with the bath as that will be a smaller job and less complicated to figure out. We've never done major remodeling before and aren't sure how to begin. Do we call a general contractor? Or go to a specific kitchen/bath remodeling store? Do we start with a designer? We have some ideas of what we want but would be interested in seeing if they are possible or if there is something else we haven't thought of and how much it will cost. Where do we start??? TIA
Good advice given.... Even though you just moved in, remember resale value!! Nice kitchens and baths SELL HOUSES !!! Good luck !!

Old 01-07-10, 12:16 PM
A
remodeling

I think it's great to start thinking and planning and talking with contractors, etc., but I'm a big fan of living with a house a little while before doing any major work (that's not safety related). I would start with the bathroom as that won't have as many nuances at the kitchen, but give it a few months to figure out your traffic patterns, how you use storage, what really annoys you about this bathroom, etc. Is the space big enough or will you have to take space from an adjacent room? Think through to a longer term picture so you really get a sense of how you'll use it.

Old 01-09-10, 06:37 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Remodel

When you decide on cabinetry for the bath and kitchen, check on lead times from your chosen supplier/s. Do not start tearing out the old until you can see a reasonable schedule for installing the new. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: