Help installing granite bar top.

Old 01-06-10, 07:28 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help installing granite bar top.

Looking to install a granite bar top. Structure is a 2x4 wall, framed 16" OC. Any suggestions? How many supports do I need? What type of adhesive?

Last edited by pmgca; 01-06-10 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Fixed link to pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-10, 07:45 PM
C
How big is the bar top and how much overhang will there be from the wall face?

Old 01-06-10, 07:48 PM
N
The top will be approx 80" long by 18" wide, with an overhang of 12".

Old 01-06-10, 07:52 PM
N
I tried to post pics, but that obviously didn't work.

If anybody could point me to a FAQ on that I can include pics.

Old 01-06-10, 08:21 PM
Hi nedrierson78,

I fixed the pictures' link
In order to set an image here follow these easy steps-->
1 - upload your picture to a free online photoalbum like Photobucket or Flickr , for example
2 - Look for the link of your picture (usually, photoalbums provide a "link for a forum" script) --> copy the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located),
3 - In the DIY Forum--> Reply post or open a new post--> Press the 'Insert Image' icon above and paste the link--> or type [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image

In your case, you linked the page where the image was posted--> to link the picture--> in the Picassa page--> click download--> copy the link of the picture (address bar)

Old 01-06-10, 08:52 PM
C
Ok, it helps to see the pictures. The simplest way would be to make corbels to match the cabinets, but they would need to be big enough to be knee knockers. I would go to a steel shop and have them make braces from 1/2" x 2" cold rolled steel, welded at the corner, then ground flush. They should have a 10" leg horizontal and 12" vertical. Make sure it's exactly 90 degrees. Put the supports about 24" center to center. Cut the drywall back to the studs so the braces are directly on the studs. Use blocking between the studs to hold the vertical leg. When you're done install 1/4" plywood skin on the wall matching the cabinets covering the drywall and steel. You want this thing strong enough to dance on it, even if you're not planning to do so. Good luck

Old 01-25-10, 12:41 PM
N
I like the cold rolled steel idea. Would you have any pics of what you are referring to?

I'm assuming 1/2" thick by 2" wide is the measurements you are referring to.

Old 01-26-10, 07:17 PM
C
I don't have pictures, but it's a simple L shape. The vertical leg will be covered by the 1/4" plywood. It's welded so the 2" dimension is flat so it will be the same thickness as drywall. Good luck

Old 03-11-11, 09:03 PM
P
My husband thinks that if we put two by fours on either end of the bar, that measures 12"x 60",granite; that will hold up the bar. what say you? I have told him we need to make a pony wall. With corbels and 2x4's between like you would if you were building a regular wall. He says I am full of it!! In no uncertain terms. He also said the counter guys would leave us the bar if we don't have the proper set up. I told him we have to have it all done before they come to confirm our measurements for the template. Again, I am full of it!!

Old 03-11-11, 10:06 PM
C
I have no desire to come between you & your husband, so if he is convinced he knows how to support the top, so be it. That said, a 12" wide top isn't the same as an 18" wide top. If it's on a 2 x 4 wall then only about 1/2 of it is overhang, & doesn't need as much support as a wider one. Just remember that a granite top is not structural, and needs to be properly supported. Good luck

Old 03-12-11, 04:56 AM
D
I say you should prepare a list of sarcastic comments for when it breaks.