Replace one tile in new backsplash

Old 01-18-10, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace one tile in new backsplash

I just installed in a backsplash of 3x6 subway tiles. There is one tile that appears to have slipped before the thinset dried and one corner of it sticks out further than the rest of the tiles.

I have an extra tile and would like to replace it before I grout. I want to make I don't impact the other tiles around it. What is the best way to take the tile out?

Thanks // MarkDIY

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-10, 07:56 AM
You said you haven't grouted yet, so anything you do to that specific tile shouldn't effect the others.

If you have a dremel tool, you can score the tile and then tap it with a hammer to break it in pieces and then pull it off.

Or try to find a little wonder bar from (very small pry bar) that you can use to just start to pry it off without hurting the other tiles. It won't just peel off but it will come off in pieces.

Old 01-20-10, 09:42 AM
My wife broke a tile into several peices once trying to pound a nail into it. Might work for you.

Old 01-20-10, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you havent yet grout thats good. If you have already grouted, you need to remove all the grout around the tile you want to remove. Place a small chisel, nail set or something like that in the center of the tile and give it a couple of small taps with a hammer until it cracks into several pieces. Use a flat head screw driver or something like it to pry out the pieces. Work from the center of the tile out so that you are not using the surround tiles to pry against. That way, you wont crack or chip the edges of any of the surrounding tile.

SoxFan thats pretty funny. You can skip all the steps up to prying the pieces out from the center. It seems your wife has already done the other steps for you.