Repolishing/Resealing Marble

Old 02-02-10, 06:36 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repolishing/Resealing Marble

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum but I didn't see any forum that was really specific to my problem and I've found that the people who work with granite and other stone countertops seem to be most familiar with this.

We recently purchased a piece of marble that has dulled over the years and is dirty. We would like to sand it down to remove any old sealer, repolish it then reseal it. The places we've called (they specialize in kitchens) want $300 for onsite polishing or $150 if we bring it in. It's 18" deep by 30" long so carrying it around is no problem. What I'd like to know is if we could do this ourselves or is it best left to professionals? We would like to do it ourselves if possible but I don't even know where to look for materials to do the job. Thanks Beer 4U2

Old 02-03-10, 04:24 PM
J
If you are asking, you either do not have the knowledge or the tools to polish marble, or both. In which case I would suggest leaving it to a pro. Marble can be hard to get to a high polish, depends on the actual stone. Some is very soft, some is not. I assume we are talkng about a bathroom vanity??? $150 does not sound bad depending on what they are promising.

Old 02-04-10, 05:43 PM
P
Thanks for the info. It's actually a dresser and I only paid $125 for the entire thing, including the marble top. I've already restained it, the wood is looking marvelous. I am going to put new brass door pulls on. I've done a bit more research and it involves using heavy grit to remove the glaze then progressively finer grits until it is clean and free of scratches, then polishing it and resealing it. Sounds like a lot of work but this is a site for doityourselfers If I mess it up or can't find the materials I can get it done by a pro or buy a remnant from a granite or marble counter job and get it cut into a new top. That may actually be cheaper than getting the old piece repolished.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: