Stove hood question

Old 02-21-10, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stove hood question

I have been (slowly) totally re-doing my kitchen. And the design is set in my head. Half the kitchen is completed see below. I am now up to roughing in the last of the electrical and the duct for the future wood range hood with an insert for exhaust. The cabinet manufacturer steers you to another company that makes the blower unit to fit the hood. My problem is the company calls for 6" or 8" ducting! No way can I make this large a size fit up in the joists and pipe to the outside. 4" will make it to the exterior wall though. So does anyone know of a unit that uses this size and can the rough in be outside the finished wall? The hood is a 33" one and after the crown molding is finished the 4" duct would not really be seen. Thanks much folks as this one detail has me crazed.

Last edited by pmgca; 02-21-10 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Tried to resize image - OP deleted source image
Old 02-21-10, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 822 Posts
6" and 8" ducting doesn't go in the wall, it goes straight up through the ceiling and into the attic or between joists, in most cases. The hood itself or an extension covers up any of the duct that would show above the cabinets.

image credit: kitchensource dot com

We can only guess what kind of range hood you currently are working with since you didn't include that information. And the blower fans which you mentioned are often connected to the ductwork in the attic or between ceiling joists if there is no room for them below the ceiling. Your picture is kind of big, can you adjust the size of your picture? If I had a 24" wide monitor I might be able to get it all in. LOL

Old 02-21-10, 04:19 PM
Sorry about the picture size, I'm slow but managed to resize it. As far as the hood went I thought we weren't supposed to mention brands. I'm going to use a 33" J series Starmark which unlike your picture directly attaches to the wall cabinets on either side. The reason I need to cut down on the duct size is the following issues. Second floor is finished, to the left of where the sink (future stove location) is now is a major header and soffet. Add it that already in the joists is a piece of 3" PVC from the upstairs bath. Thats why I was thinking of a 4" with a round to square transition where it passes over the PVC.

Note of the Moderator: you can use brands if they are not for Spam or Advertising purposes

Last edited by pmgca; 02-21-10 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Note
Old 02-21-10, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that a 6" duct could go straight up and into the ceiling joist area, then turn and travel to the left, but you have a PVC restriction in that same joist bay that limits the space you have to work with, right? This is probably a question for an HVAC guy, but I would think they could make you a custom sized duct that would not reduce the volume of the 6" duct, which would enable you to get around the pvc obstruction and out the wall. Is it a toilet sewer line that has an elbow that is blocking most of the bay?

If this is not correct, please include a picture of the header and soffit you are referring to, or maybe a pic of the pvc obstruction.

Old 02-21-10, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Ok, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that a 6" duct could go straight up and into the ceiling joist area, then turn and travel to the left, but you have a PVC restriction in that same joist bay that limits the space you have to work with, right? This is probably a question for an HVAC guy, but I would think they could make you a custom sized duct that would not reduce the volume of the 6" duct, which would enable you to get around the pvc obstruction and out the wall. Is it a toilet sewer line that has an elbow that is blocking most of the bay?

If this is not correct, please include a picture of the header and soffit you are referring to, or maybe a pic of the pvc obstruction.
No picture at this time as this old disabled vet is beat, but you are 100% correct in the assessment of my problem. There is a 3" elbow in that bay. I have maybe? 3" above it and to make matters worse because when a dormer was installed years before I arrived on the scene they sistered 2x8s to the existing for the canter lever. That in turn left me with only 10" of space between joists.

Old 02-21-10, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
OK, I was wondering what the change in color was up there, I can see that now. The one thing that pops into my head (might be a lot of work) is whether it might be possible to head off and remove one ceiling joist, replacing it with two new joists spaced apart on either side that would give you enough room for your ductwork. Or if the wall to the right of the sink is a load bearing wall (likely not), the two new joists could rest on that wall and your exterior wall.

I'm guessing you don't want to have a soffit over the cabinets that would hide ductwork if it was running below the ceiling joists...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: