Tube Surround

Old 03-07-10, 06:28 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tub Surround

Hello,

I am pulling out wall around tub. I noticed that in Lowes they sell Tub Surround kit where you can install directly to studs. I am a little confused. Does this mean that you do not need to reinstall wall and you can put this surround directly to stud? Sounds like that if you do it this way that you can eventually have moisture problem.

Thx for any input

Last edited by ednorton1; 03-07-10 at 07:10 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 03-07-10, 11:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You install the tub against the studs, then apply the surround to the studs overlapping the rim of the tub, then your sheetrock will overlap the rim of the surround on the top and other two sides. You may have to apply 1/4" lattice on the face of the studs over the surround so your sheetrock will lay flat, but it should give you a leak resistant install. Of course you will silicone the bottom where it meets the tub, and the corners, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Want a classy job in not much more time than installing the flimsy surround? Apply 1/2" cbu on the wall, seal the seams and corners according to manufacturer's suggestion, then apply 4x4 or 6x6 ceramic tile. You can lay them about as fast as you can deal a deck of cards. Just thought I'd give you an alternative that you may not like. If you decide to do the tile, we're here to help.

Old 03-07-10, 02:42 PM
E
Thx for reply,

Lowes told me that I can use there surround directly to stud method only if i buy the tub which is sold with it. To tell you truth I would feel a little unsettling doing it this way. I think, even if I put in a new tub with the surround that comes with it I will still use a board so surround will adhere nicely to it. They say Green Board is fine if Surround is used on top of it, but if i use tile which i think i will not use, I should use backerboard that they sell. Does this sound right?

Thx again for any input!!!

Old 03-07-10, 11:27 PM
Not sure what type of tub you have in there now or what was on the wall prior. You can certainly put the wall board up if you would feel better about it. A lot of home have the prefab tub surround attached to the studs. But as chandler said throwing some tiles up would look a lot better and give you better moisture control. Getting a new tub and having to install it can be a lot bigger headache than the tile.

Old 03-08-10, 05:00 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have to third that. Those tub surrounds are flimsy and difficult to put in. You need the tub that goes with it because of the lip on the tub is higher than a normal lip. Ceramic tile doesn't cost much and it goes up a lot easier because you are working with small sections at a time.

Old 03-26-10, 08:26 AM
E
So it sounds like if the job is done right, you can install directly to stud, without the need to apply it to wall as long as you get the surround that goes with tub. I am getting this right? The top where the surround will end can get green board since it is not in direct contact with water? I am new at this so give me all criticism I need! Lowes sells a set which seems very sturdy. which runs about 550.00

thx

Old 03-26-10, 01:07 PM
If you are going to go with the prefab surround I would go with their suggested installation requirements. I believe they suggest a green board to protect your framing. I do believe you can put them over just about any solid surface. Yon may need to do some furring and adjusting to get it to fit. I am assuming you are putting this surround on your existing tub. I still suggest you go with tile I bet you could do it for cheaper and 100% better looking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: