Caulking

Old 04-03-10, 09:51 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Caulking

I need to know: what if you don't leave enough space for chaulking where your walls meet? (I have the standard three walls for my tub/shower surround.) I did use spacers between all tiles, but I don't think I left space for chaulking. Can this be fixed before I start grouting? I butted my tiles so that they lay atop tiles along the seams. (Much Appreciation for your comments/thoughts.)

Old 04-03-10, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
And I'm not sure what the problem is. Are you saying you don't have the 1/8" expansion gap where the tile meets the tub? If there won't be any movement I don't see the problem. If the tile was meeting a fiberglass tub it might be more critical. You'll caulk the corners and perimeter of the tub/shower after everything is grouted and sealed.

Last edited by pmgca; 04-03-10 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Not beneficial comment
Old 04-03-10, 12:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You would work grout into the corner were the walls meet just like any other space between the tiles. No caulk needed or wanted there.
The corners were the tile meets the tub should be grouted just the same also. Just clean the grout up nice and trim at this corner. All caulk needs is a nice clean square corner. If it's sanded grout, well there is your extra holding power. If not that's ok too.

There is a finishing tool you can use to caulk that will give you a nice neat line.

Last edited by pmgca; 04-03-10 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Link and commercial reference removed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: