Shower Pan Question - Do I need to re-mud?

Old 04-06-10, 08:01 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Pan Question - Do I need to re-mud?

Hi,

I have renovated bathrooms before, but never a shower stall. Because of time restraints, I hired someone to get the shower stall "ready to tile." I am now regretting that decision.

Here is what he did. He basically put down the shower membrane / liner directly on the subfloor, then poured the mud. And, as you can see, he did a crappy job. Even I, someone who has never done this, can tell he did a bad job. (end of rant)

Now, what do I do? I've seen this link, and many other like it, that describe the steps that should have been taken.

Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Do I have to rip out everything he did and start all over? Take a look at the pictures below to see how he left the liner all jumbled up, making it almost impossible for me to install the wall boards. If I push back the liner to make it flat against the wall studs, there will be gaps. Can I just fill in the gaps or do I need to redo the whole thing?

Thanks for your expert opinions!

Last edited by pmgca; 04-06-10 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Reset pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-10, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, until the Pro's get here...I'll weigh in.

Yep...looks like a tearout to me. What exactly is the mud? Sure doesn't look like a sand mix? Looks more like thinset (or joint compound!) from the color.

You MIGHT be able to reuse the liner...but its pretty cheap..so I wouldn't worry about it.

All you are out right now is some material costs and whatever you paid him. If you try and cobble something up, then tile...you might be out a lot more.

Old 04-06-10, 10:51 AM
T
That's what I was afraid of. Anything dealing with that much potential for water damage worries me if it is not done correctly. That's what I get for not doing it myself the first time...ugh.

Old 04-06-10, 03:36 PM
E
If your pressed for time, i suggest a kerdi shower system. Presloped pan, curb, drain, and membrane. 4x4 shower kit is under 600 bux and easy enough to do yourself. Even with your shower now, the walls still need to be waterproofed. This kit covers EVERYTHING you need for a 100% waterproof shower. If you can mix thinset you can install it.

Old 04-07-10, 05:16 AM
T
I'm a little confused as to what best process is. Some sites say you need to do the following:

- On the subfloor, put down some sort of roofing paper or something like that.
- One layer of mud (or whatever it is called)
- The rubber membrane
- another layer of the concrete / mud
- then tile.

Other sites / people say that you can do what my contractor did, which is:

- on the subfloor, he put the rubber membrane
- then a layer of the concrete / mud

Are there big differences in the durability of one method over the other?

Old 04-09-10, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Little late getting back....but anyway....

Putting the membrane over the subfloor does nothing for the drainage...if the floor slopes to one end, thats where the water pools, not going out the weepholes as it should.

First you do the presloped base, then the membrane (using proper folding and premade corners as required), then your final layer, then thinset and tile.

The link you put in your first post was correct as I remember. The materials aren't that expensive..but the skills and time of a Professional surely is. A simple way for a DIY'r is the Kerdi system. Kind of expensive, but you can do it at your pace, and if done by the book, its absolutely waterproof.

Old 04-09-10, 09:34 PM
J
Can you link us to the sites that tell people you can place the membrane direct on the subfloor with no pre-slope? Some of us would like to correct them so they might stop giving bad advise.

The link you provided is the right way to build a traditional old method shower. I prefer a Kerdi waterproof shower instead. You do not have to use the foam tray though.

Jaz