Fiberglass shower base install

Old 04-17-10, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass shower base install

I have a question about installing a fiberglass shower base. We had a plumber put one in for us. He set it in mortar and the edges touch the studs in the shower surround.

Now we're having durock installed on the walls and it extends into the shower, past the fiberglass lip (almost the full thickness of the durock). The lip is about 4" high and the base is meant to be used as is, not tiled over.

Never having done this, shouldn't the durock end up flush or even slightly behind the fiberglass lip so that tile installed on durock ends up flush with the lip?

We were planning to install tile ourselves, but not sure how the almost 1/2" protrusion with the shower base should be handled. Is there an easy solution to this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-10, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Normally the tile should go over and cover the lip. If it didn't then you would have a seam where the tile and the lip met. That seam would not be water tight. I'm not sure what yours looks like but I'm guessing that you have to fill the space in with thinset at the bottom and set the tile in it. You might want to contact the manufacture to make sure.