Am I stupid to try diy marble cutting?

Old 04-27-10, 08:53 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Am I stupid to try diy marble cutting?

I have some surplus marble slabs I'd like to cut to kitchen countertop size. The local marble shop wants at least $800 to cut, polish, and seal L-shaped countertop and backsplash pieces. I'm sure it's worth it as they do excellent work, but it still isn't in the budget. Is it realistic for me to think that I could buy a wet diamond saw at Home Despot, and cut the slabs myself? Is cutting marble (apparently much softer than granite) still one of those "don't try this at home" things? Anyone have any tips?

Old 04-27-10, 04:48 PM
J
Cutting a slab is the easy part. Cutting it in the right places, fitting it to your walls, polishing, etc., is the hard part. By the time you are done with tools, $800 will seem really cheap. And I have not mentioned knowhow.

Old 04-27-10, 11:46 PM
joe28_bak, marble is a soft stone and because of the characteristic it's usually in baths. Did you ask someone who knows stone how well if this will hold up? Or is that not an issue, since its surplus. Just a question?

Old 04-28-10, 05:33 AM
J
I have heard of the disadvantages of marble in a kitchen, due to its durability and porosity. I've accepted that it will develop a patina of stains over time and I'm ok with a rustic appearance. Does anyone have marble-cutting experience they'd like to share?

Old 04-28-10, 04:27 PM
J
Feel free to try.

I assume the pieces are already cut to the proper thickness?? A diamond blade on a circular saw and a guide can give you a nice straight cut, but you may need to scribe edges for a fit. Templates work well here. Diamond or high grade carbide router bits can finish the edges if needed. Marble can be polished, but softer versions do not hold a polish well. a variety of grits are needed to polish from a rough cut, ranging from course to jewelers grits.

Last edited by pmgca; 04-28-10 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Non beneficial comment removed
Old 04-29-10, 06:30 AM
J
Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'm going to give it a try. Scribing shouldn't be necessary as the wall is pretty straight and backsplash should hide any gaps. That and plenty 'o caulk I'm going to shoot for a satin finish, so I don't spend the rest of my life polishing...

Old 04-30-10, 10:16 AM
C
You can get the supplies you need at Braxton-Bragg or Gran-Quartz. They carry the diamond saw blades & polishing pads which will fit a standard 4" grinder. You'll need to use water unless you enjoy breathing silica dust. Also be sure you're using a GFI circuit to avoid electrocution, unless you're using air tools. Try not to touch the surface since it should already be polished from the factory. Practice on a scrap first. You can use the grinder & polishing pads to form a pencil edge on the top edge, & ease the bottom. Sealer will help to keep the top clean, but you may have to reseal often since marble is so porous. If you have a seam at the corner the slabs need to be dead nuts level. Use a single edge razor blade across the seam to get it to where the razor blade doesn't catch on either side when you pass it over the seam. Use an acrylic or polyester adhesive to join the two pieces together. A pour grade adhesive will probably work best, but be sure to tape the underside so it doesn't run out before curing. Use a razor blade to scrape the adhesive level with the top. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: