Little help with kitchen cabinet

Old 05-13-10, 11:14 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Little help with kitchen cabinet

We close on our new home Monday and need some help figuring out what to do with our kitchen! We're going from a new home to a home built in the 80's to get closer to our jobs.

We've already purchased new appliances - SS Kenmore Elite wall oven, OTR microwave and induction cooktop. We will have to hire someone to modify the cabinet above the cooktop.

I've read a lot about the General Finishes gel stain and it's something we're considering since we like the espresso/java look. We're also open to paint. We're looking for a push so we can make up our minds and move forward! We even thought about painting, granite, etc.. and seeing if we like the cabinets but I doubt that will happen. By the way, we think they're birch.

See pics below and opine at will!

Old 05-13-10, 02:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

To apply any stain [including gel stains] you really need raw wood. That would mean stripping the cabinets first
It looks like darkening the cabinets would still allow the stained woodwork to look like it belongs

You can darken the existing finish using a tinted poly like minwax's polyshades. Care must be used when applying a tinted poly! Drips, runs, lap marks, etc. will be darker. Missed areas will be lighter. It's not a coating that can be touched up. It's best sprayed but it can be brushed. It's always a good idea to top coat tinted poly with clear poly to protect the color. If the tinted poly wears away - so does the color

To paint the cabinets you need to first coat them with a solvent based primer. The a couple of coats of your choice of enamel. Oil base enamel is the most durable but light colors [especially white] will yellow as it ages. Waterborne enamel [my favorite] dries almost as hard as oil base, does not yellow over time, dries quick and equipment cleans up with water. It's also the most expensive of the 3 types of enamel.

You can also use latex enamel for a top coat but stay away from the cheaper latex enamels as they are prone both to sticking and peeling

Old 05-13-10, 09:47 PM
itguysc; the first thing that caught my eye was the soffit. Is it decorative or is the air duct in that area? If it is decorative and no air duct or such, I would suggest you take the soffit out if you plan to purchase new cabinets, buy 42" uppers which will help make the walls look taller. The wood soffit draws your eye and make the cabinets and area short. If you keep the cabinets, again, I'd suggest you remove the wood soffit, if it's decorative.

I read all that marksr stated about stain, but if he said you could, then I would first try something very simple.

Change out the a few upper and lower cabinet door hinge and handles. You would be surprised how different they could look by just updated the hardware. If it looks promising, then take the back of one of the doors and experiment. Good luck

Old 05-14-10, 05:02 AM
I
Yep - I believe the soffit is decorative. I've seen this in many houses in the neighborhood. Many people paint it the wall color or even put wallpaper on it. We're not looking to replace the cabinets or do any major modifications at this time..maybe once we're settled that will change.

I guess we need to make up our minds whether we want to paint the soffit and stain the cabinets or just paint all of the cabinets including the soffit the same color, etc...

Old 05-14-10, 05:25 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would go the route of painting them just because it will be much much easier to do.

If you really want to update the look of the cabinets, you can replace the cabinet door and drawer fronts. A company like Conestoga or Meridian will make them to your spec and ship them to you. Lots of options available.

Old 06-09-10, 06:11 PM
I
Well, a lot has been going on the past two weeks!

We reworked the cabinet above the cooktop and extended the cabinet around the fridge to give it a cleaner look.

We had a lot of wiring to change around, add a few outlets, switch to GFCI to bring up to code.

We're using the General Finishes Java gel stain. It's not the easiest to work with but it covers really well. I think I'm being too picky because the "sheen" varies in some spots. I've been going crazy over this and we're on our third coat but I think I'm going to start on the poly tomorrow to see if it evens out.

We really like the color and feel it has really changed the look of our kitchen. We also put a deposit down on a couple slabs of Delicatus White granite which should look great!

We also have new satin hinges and are undecided on the handles/pulls. There isn't a huge selection of 3" center hardware from what we've been able to find.

Anyway, I'll continue to provide pics over the next few weeks!

Old 06-09-10, 09:39 PM
itguysc - this is where I say "wow dude this is impressive". I am so excited to see how far you have come. You guys should be proud of yourselves. You've done a great job, keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing the finished project!!!

Old 06-10-10, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
Are you sure that's the same kitchen

kitchen remodeling - $xxx
bragging rites - priceless!

Old 06-10-10, 08:19 AM
Hi itguysc

Excellent!!

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us
When you finish, you can post your pictures in out Did it Myself section
Did It Myself! | DoItYourself.com

Old 06-10-10, 10:44 AM
T
Thumbs up Wow

I've gotta tell my wife to check that out! We just bought our first home (moving to it next week) and we're in the same boat regarding the kitchen. Actually we can use a lot of advice. In our case the size is massive. Many many cabinets (all white) whereas the floor tile is beige. We're not sure if we want to change the colors of the cabinets or only the hardware. I will post a separate thread to ask because this one is yours.

Are you considering some glass cabinet doors also? That might do wonders!

Would you be OK sharing some cost information as well?

Thanks and congrats in advance!

Old 06-11-10, 01:32 PM
I
Thanks for all the positive responses! As far as cost, the cabinet work was around 1k (sorry, not a carpenter) and the stain is $20 a quart (we've gone through 7 quarts so far)

As of today, one side of all the doors and drawers have two coats of stain and one coat of poly. The inside of the cabinets has two coats of poly and the outside 1 coat. I think we're done with the poly on the inside of the cabinets and I'll probably put two more on the outside. The poly made a huge difference and we're happy. We used General Finishes gel topcoat wipe on urethane in satin and it was $68 for a gallon. We already used 1/2 gallon so I need to order more. We've used brushes for everything and applied it rather thick.

We thought about glass cabinet doors but that won't happen right now. We have 3100 sqft of 1986 to change to our liking!! I would love to add can lights but the electrician said plumbing will be in the ceiling and he doesn't advise cutting holes just to see. We will end up centering the existing fixture and changing it to something more contemporay and I will try to add lights to the counter left facing the fridge. We'll also add under cabinet lights too.

Pics from today...not the greatest but maybe you can tell a difference with the poly.

What color would you paint the walls and what flooring?? We would love to have wood since that's in the other rooms but due to our dogs that's not realistic....

Old 06-12-10, 11:55 AM
I
I took some pics of the granite today....I have no clue what color to paint the walls..HELP!!!! ha ha

Old 06-12-10, 12:32 PM
Hi itguysc,

As your Java cabinets are a nice focal point in your kitchen, I'd avoid the black / greys / whites going with tan / beige / colors
Dessert Granite (is a type of granite) will look nice and Realistic Beige (Sherwin Williams) for the walls will match perfectly

Old 06-12-10, 10:20 PM
itguysc - I would suggest a taupe with a red hue, if that is the hue I see in the stain.. I realize that pics do distort color. Or I think I may see some taupe in the granite, is that correct? If so, I would take a paint deck and see what's close. I still like the taupe option.

Old 06-16-10, 02:57 PM
I
By the way, we ended up going with SW Quicksilver for the kitchen.

We decided to start on our formal living and dining rooms the past two days for a change of pace..we chose SW Uncertain Gray.

Last edited by pmgca; 06-16-10 at 04:26 PM. Reason: comment edited
Old 06-18-10, 07:02 PM
I
Painting 98% done..have a few area's that need touched up. We ended up going to SW North Star which is one color darker than Quicksilver. It looks really good to us. I'll take some pics tomorrow without a flash during the day.

Old 06-21-10, 04:34 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Looks very nice! Did you strip or sand the cabinets first?

Old 06-23-10, 03:30 PM
I
Almost done....

One more coat of poly on the doors and then hardware.

Old 06-25-10, 11:45 AM
I
Getting closer...installed some of the appliances last night.

Old 07-01-10, 11:41 AM
N
WOW! Your kitchen looks amazing! I am so impressed. My husband and I are trying to redo ours as well and we are not sure about whether to paint the cabinets or not. The previous owners got paint all over the oak cabinets and it does not want to come off. I love the stain that you did. We love the espresso look too. Did you strip the cabinets first? Now, I am going to have to rethink what to do to our kitchen after seeing what you did! Awesome job!

Old 07-02-10, 07:06 PM
I
Update!

Many changes in the past week!!!!! Granite, sink, valve, harware, etc... has been installed. Next stop - backsplash!!!!

Induction cooktop!

Pretty cool light

We're thinking about one of these for our backsplash

Old 07-20-10, 01:31 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kitchen

Your kitchen is one of the best i have seen. Your design is outstandingly perfect for medium sized kitchens.

Old 07-20-10, 11:35 PM
itguysc, did you finish your backsplash or still deciding?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: