Evaluating Shower Layout Options

Old 05-23-10, 12:31 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Evaluating Shower Layout Options

I have a couple ways I can go with my shower design, but not sure which will work best. What is your opinion? For option A, I thought about putting a fold down bench under the shower head.

Last edited by mjsmith0; 05-23-10 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 01:40 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
What would you make this fold down bench out of, and how would you waterproof any wall penetrations?

I like B better. 18" is a pretty deep bench. 14" or so is a comfortable depth. 42" wide is a pretty wide bench as well. Could be seating for two.

Option C could be a corner bench in the back corner of your plan B. You would then center the shower head and drain on the side wall as well.

Old 05-23-10, 02:07 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is the fold down bench I was thinking of using.

It is made of Burmese Teak and stainless steel, so should hold up. I didn't think about mounting, but that's a good thought - want to make sure its not prone to water penetration.

The shower in another bathroom in my house has a wide bench and I like the look. You're right, it probably doesn't have to be that deep.

A concern I have about Option A is having to walk into the shower to turn on the water. Maybe that is okay, but I never had a shower setup like that before and I'm afraid it may be inconvenient. I could plumb the controls near the entrance. That is more work, but may be a good idea, but haven't seen a shower done this way.

Old 05-24-10, 06:17 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If A and B are the two options, I'd go with B. I've seen fold down benches like that before but never installed one myself. My main concern would be waterproofing any wall penetrations. Other concerns might be ease of use, raising and lowering it on a continuos basis. Your shower is certainly big enough to have a permanent bench.

I'm guessing you didnt like my idea of a corner bench that goes from back wall to side wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: