vinyl tile on shower/bathroom walls

Old 06-05-10, 07:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl tile on shower/bathroom walls

Don't call me crazy....

I've got an old old bathroom to remodel. It has old tile walls built up strong with lathe and cement, not backerboard walls, big thick suckers.

Unfortunately the tile is ugly, and I am not going to demo the tile.

I've thought about putting up fiberglass, but there are a lot of shapes and cuts but into the wall which would make fiberglass hard to install as an overlay. My fallback is doing tile on tile with a modified thinset, which is fine, but time consuming and I worry about wall thickness with the fixtures since I'll be adding significant thickness.

However, in home depot today, I saw this product called "Trafficmaster ceramica" which is a vinyl tile that takes grout.

Now, typically, you probably shouldn't use a vinyl tile in a shower, right, because the little seams water would eventually get into.

But if I can grout the tile and then seal the grout there should be no leak.

The grout they sell to use with this tile is a premixed grout, which is probably a mastic, and so shouldn't be used in a shower because of mold. But, maybe another grout would work with it.

So I'm thinking to myself, vinyl is impervious to water, sealed grout is impervious to water, why couldn't I use this on a shower wall? Shifting and movement should be no problem, the wall is a 50 year old cement and metal lathe construction, it isn't going anywhere.

So... why not?

Old 06-05-10, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I see several problems
1 - Linoleum / vinyl should not be used vertically
2 - Each hole is a potential entry for moisture / water
3 - Linoleum / vinyl should not be installed in bathrooms

I'd suggest that you check the recommendations of this manufacturer
Armstrong Linoleum Flooring FAQs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question