What can I put on the wall above the tile?

Old 06-07-10, 07:35 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What can I put on the wall above the tile?

We want to freshen up the look of our bathroom a bit, but we don't want to do a full bore remodeling job. Its a circa 1952 bathroom with a blue tub and tiles. We like them and we want to keep them.

The problem is that I am 6'4" and when I shower water is bouncing off my head and spraying on the walls and ceiling. The tile in the tub/shower isn't tall enough. The current paint is cracking and peeling so we are going to sand down the walls and repaint but we are concerned that won't be enough.

Is there something we can put on the walls and maybe the ceiling that would be water proof and look decent? We can't just extend the tile since we won't be able to match the color. So it has to be something else.

Thanks

Old 06-07-10, 09:03 AM
Hi Hex92,

Your best option is a waterproof faux finish
HD or Lowes have DIY kits for walls and ceilings, they are inexpensive.
If you post a picture, I will be glad to suggest some colors and textures
In order to set an image here follow these easy steps-->
1 - upload your picture to a free online photoalbum like Photobucket or Flickr , for example
2 - Look for the link of your picture (usually, photoalbums provide a "link for a forum" script) --> copy the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located),
3 - In the DIY Forum--> Reply post or open a new post--> Press the 'Insert Image' icon above and paste the link--> or type after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image

If you have technical question about Faux Finish, we have a DIY Faux finish forum
Faux Finishing - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Old 06-07-10, 02:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Do you know what type of paint is currently on the bath walls/ceiling?

A kitchen and bath enamel will do a lot better job than just regular latex enamel. Personally I'd use zinnser's perma white on the ceiling. It can also be used on the walls but perma white can only be tinted to the lighter pastel colors.

Obviously the current paint will need to be scraped down maybe even skim coated to make it look right. The repairs may require a primer. The age of your house indicates the bath rm was originally painted with oil base enamel, possibly lead based!! so it would be best not to sand into the paint any more than necessary. The top coat is probably latex.
http://forum.doityourself.com/painti...latex-oil.html

Old 06-09-10, 07:58 AM
H
There are several kinds of paint on the wall. I can see at least 4 different colors through the various cracks and peeling spots.

I had already thought about the possibility of lead paint. I will definitely be closing the door and wearing a respirator when doing the sanding. Its in pretty bad shape. I will have to determine how far into it I need to sand when I get into the project.

I'll look into the faux finish stuff.

I'll see if I can get some pics up in a couple of days.....I need to pull the toilet in the other bathroom tonight....its leaking around the base. The fun never stops.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: