Shower windows

Old 11-29-00, 11:30 AM
Visiting Guest
I am building a mud or cement backer board based shower stall and would like to put in some windows. I have some old wooden windows with numerous lights, muntins etc. I am not experienced and would like someone to tell me if I am crazy to put wooden framed windows in as harsh an environment as a shower or provided the windows are properly maintained (ie cauked, painted etc.) would it be OK? These were exterior windows that would have to face the elements, so would they work?...or should I use glass blocks or something else.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Mark

Old 11-29-00, 04:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay, you said you would like someone to tell you whether you would be crazy to put wood windows in a shower, and I'm going to take you at your word. You're crazy.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 11-30-00, 02:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Hey woodhouse;
John is correct Your asking for trouble with wood windows in a shower. Remember this, it rains hot rain in a shower several times a day!! Go with the glass block its easy and you will not have very many problems with them if any at all. http://www.gatelytilecompany.homestead.com
Regards,

Old 12-02-00, 06:16 AM
Visiting Guest
'Yo Woodhouse:
You don't say whether these windows are to view the outside or inside.
In either case, you may want to lay a piece of clear lexan over the interior of the window.....properly calked etc.
The problem then may become; how to provide some ventilation between the clear plastic and the wood window.
Sounds like a nice idea if the moisture can be delt with.
Good luck,
Bob

Old 12-02-00, 06:35 AM
Visiting Guest
'Yo Woodhouse:
You don't say whether these windows are to view the outside or inside.
In either case, you may want to lay a piece of clear lexan over the interior of the window.....properly calked etc.
The problem then may become; how to provide some ventilation between the clear plastic and the wood window.
Sounds like a nice idea if the moisture can be delt with.
Good luck,
Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: