Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost/time to put a new washer/dryer hookup in the garage?

Old 07-06-10, 09:55 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Ok my husband is a plumber and my dad is an electrician SO the cost is just the tools needed and supplies. We have a very small 2/1/1 house at 800 sq ft. Its concrete block on a slab in the central florida area. It's very common for the garages to have washer/dryer hookups especially in our neighborhood.
The kitchen is very small and I would love to expand it to our laundry room, which we currently have some shelves to store our food(only pantry area) and as well as our washer/dryer. The water heater is also in this room but we would be putting a tankless water heater in there. Sorry if I am being vague but I basically want to know if anyone has done this before? And what tthe cost/time would be? I will include pics but I do not have any pics including the laundry room in it. It is the same width but goes another 6 feet deep. theres a window to the side of the house, the w/d are on the side of the sink and the door to our garage is on the side of the fridge. If you have any questions don't hesitate!

Also i should add my husband is 23 in his 3rd year for his journeymen's license and only does commercial new plumbing so i was curious to learn from someone who does existing residential! Thanks!

Old 07-06-10, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I am a little curious. If you have a plumber and an electrician on staff why are you asking us what a job we can't see would cost? Are they telling you it is going to cost a bundle? Your tankless water heater alone will cost you about $1,000 just for the unit. Then tack on the parts for the install and the new gas line.

Old 07-06-10, 10:14 AM
M
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
I am a little curious. If you have a plumber and an electrician on staff why are you asking us what a job we can't see would cost? Are they telling you it is going to cost a bundle? Your tankless water heater alone will cost you about $1,000 just for the unit. Then tack on the parts for the install and the new gas line.
My husband is inexperienced in this and I haven't asked my dad. my husband says it will cost us 10 grand to move the washer and dryer which seems really unreasonable if we aren't paying for labor...Like I said he doesn't do residential and doesn't know what the costs are. The reason I am asking is because I wanted to ask someone who knew!

Old 07-06-10, 10:17 AM
M
also we have electric only. No gas would be needed i don't think.

Old 07-06-10, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Originally Posted by mymindbodysoul
also we have electric only. No gas would be needed i don't think.
That only makes it worse. An electric tankless water heater would likely also require a service upgrade to 200 amps due to the power requirements of the unit. Most ones I have seen require 120amps of power just on there own. Being your house is small I would suspect your electric service is 100 amps max. There is also the question if the power companies transformer in your neighborhood is large enough.

It is really hard to give a guess on cost due to so many variables. $10K? That sounds a bit high but I don't think $5K would be out of the question.

Old 07-06-10, 11:44 AM
M
lol alright so forget the water heater ALL TOGETHER lol..I could put it in a cabinet..I am not worried..its in the corner of the room.

see 5k for us is doable..thats what i was thinking it would cost. My husband says it doesn't seem worth it to lose a laundry room. But our kitchen is so small i think adding more cabinet space and pantry would be smarter? esp since most houses in our neighborhood have made their garage into another room. We bought our house for 75k so i am just not sure if we should go this route or leave it as is? do i talk to a contractor maybe or a residential plumber?

Old 07-06-10, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't know how your roof is framed, but the wall between the garage and house could be a loadbearing masonry wall. If you want to eliminate the part of the wall to extend the counters and cabinets and avoid the look of two separate rooms you could be looking at a lot of time, work and mess.

The "old" laundry area would become a part of the living area, so the wall between the new area and the garage would possibly have to be increased to the proper fire resistance to qualify for codes.

Without more information, this could just be a possibility to consider in determining the real cost (time, inconvenience, blending and finishing ceiling, flooring, etc.) in a ddition to the materials and "free" labor.

Dick

Old 07-06-10, 01:14 PM
M
LOL I give up! my husband says it will be too much hard work and we never know with the age of the house (1960) what will happen. I think what we will definitely do is whatever new cabinets we get we will also put matching ones in the laundry room/pantry. I guess my next question would be how people feel about enclosed cabinets in the same room as their w/d and water heater. I obviously want to make a little money off our first house! lol

Thanks for everyones answers!

Old 07-06-10, 01:18 PM
M
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
I don't know how your roof is framed, but the wall between the garage and house could be a loadbearing masonry wall. If you want to eliminate the part of the wall to extend the counters and cabinets and avoid the look of two separate rooms you could be looking at a lot of time, work and mess.

The "old" laundry area would become a part of the living area, so the wall between the new area and the garage would possibly have to be increased to the proper fire resistance to qualify for codes.

Without more information, this could just be a possibility to consider in determining the real cost (time, inconvenience, blending and finishing ceiling, flooring, etc.) in a ddition to the materials and "free" labor.

Dick
the roof is makes an A or an upside down V...yeah idk the terminology lol!
the wall i wanted to put the hookups on is the old outside wall. Our garage was first a carport so the wall is concrete block. Probably safe to say its just not worth all the trouble and risks!
my husband says his biggest fear would be when breaking up the flooring to get to the pipes, breaking a cast iron pipe.

I honestly thought it would be easier!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: