Help with deep but skinny pantry space

Old 07-07-10, 07:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with deep but skinny pantry space

The space available for our pantry is about 87" deep, but only about 27" wide. Furthermore about 4' into the 87", only the top half of space can be used because of clearance for a stairwell. That area currently has a single shelf in it but it's hard to reach things in the back, especially if it's on the shelf.

Right now we're thinking the best we can do is maybe 12" deep 4' shelves along one wall, with recycling bins on the floor under them and then maybe construct a lazy susan for the space above the stairwell. Also maybe some spice racks on the back of the door.

Any other ideas?

Old 07-08-10, 06:08 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you removed the plaster or drywall on the other wall you could build narrow shelves between the studs. They would be deep enough to hold cans or boxes. For even more space on that wall you could build a narrow sliding cabinet that you would move in order to get at these shelves. It wouldn't need anything fancy like a pocket door hardware, casters on the bottom and something to keep it against the wall and rolling in a straight line would do.

Old 07-08-10, 07:41 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I hadn't thought of not finishing off the inside with drywall. I could just paint the studs. Space would really be 82 deep once I added the door. Here is a pic to give an idea of what we have now. Ignore all the wires.

I can enlarge the opening of the space over the stairs. I've thought of putting doors on the left side of that space, but then you'd need to get a ladder on the stair landing to get to anything. Hence. why we're thinking 27" dia lazy susan kind of thing. I'd still lose the corners and back 13" or so, but it'd be much easier to access whatever we did put there. Before this remodel that was coolers, garden stuff, chemicals, etc. Not sure if it'd be the same or just food now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: