Mixing different tile materials, shapes, etc.

Old 07-22-10, 03:52 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mixing different tile materials, shapes, etc.

Hey y'all,

My home has 18x18 travertine tile floors throughout the entire first floor. They are, for the most part, a creamy golden color (sort of like buttermilk). There are many tiles that the previous owners have already replaced... that don't quite match. Additionally, there are a number of damaged tiles that need to be replaced.

I realize I have no chance of actually matching the original tile, so I'm not even going to try. I'm toying with the idea of choosing a tile that complements the current tile, but will also help me draw several other, disparate elements together. These complementary tiles will end up being placed randomly around the floor; I'm thinking I can do patterns (at doorways and such) with smaller tiles in both the buttermilk color and the new one to bring it together.

So, my question(s): aside from color, what do I need to consider when choosing new tile? Can I use slate (or marble or ceramic, or... ) to replace the damaged/mismatched travertine, and if I can, do I need to worry about different thicknesses, etc.

Are there tiles that come in big sizes (18 x 18) for the floor, but can also come in smaller sizes to be used as a backsplash in the kitchen? And even smaller mosaic pieces to create transitional elements?

Does any of that make sense?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
-Shalie

Old 07-22-10, 06:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Color & style is strictly preference but thickness could be a problem. You want to match that. Remove all the tiles that you don't like. Then take some measurements. See what you can find. If worse comes to worse, there are rubberized or poly vinyl floors that you can roll right over it.

Old 07-23-10, 08:35 AM
S
Thanks!

Is there a difference between floor tile and tile that I'd put on the wall as a backsplash? If I find a tile that I love for the floor, and it comes in the right variety of sizes, is there any reason I couldn't put it on the wall as well?

Old 07-23-10, 01:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
As far as I know, you can use it.

Old 07-23-10, 02:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Some tiles are too slick to use on the floor but I would think anything ok for a floor would be fine on a wall

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: