leaking shower curb

Old 08-11-10, 12:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking shower curb

I'm doing some work for a customer and he asks me to look at his shower curb. It appears that it was leaking at the joints were the side tile meets the top tiles of the curb. The leak stained the ceiling directly under the curb. The tiles are approx 4". His solution was to lay a length of duck tape the length of the curb across the innermost grout line. And it worked. I recently opened up the ceiling and it is as dry as a bone. Shower was installed about 5 years ago. Grout spacing appears to be 1/4". Short of ripping out the curb and redoing, I am contemplating setting a marble threshold the width and length of the curb with a slight pitch toward the shower. I've tried to attach attached pix but can't figure out how to. So if that idea makes sense, can I just lay thinset over the existing tile and then lay in a piece of marble? Or is that a crazy idea?
Opinion, comments and some polite razzing is accepted

Joe P.

Old 08-12-10, 06:26 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Joe

Do you know if the curb was covered with pan liner membrane or not, and if the prefab corners for the curb were used? Is the top of the curb pitched towards the inside of the shower? Does the top of the curb have any screw penetrations for the shower door hardware?

So if that idea makes sense, can I just lay thinset over the existing tile and then lay in a piece of marble? Or is that a crazy idea?
You can certainly do that, but as I'm sure you know, thats not a guarantee that it won't leak. As I know you are aware, the waterproofing hopefully is underneath the tile.

As a side note, the duct tape was an interesting solution. There seems to be no end to what people can do with that stuff.

Old 08-12-10, 08:17 AM
HeresJohnny,
I can only assume there is no membrane under the tiles on the curb or if there is, it has failed. The tiles slope away from the show, so I know that too is a potential problem. There are no screw holes on the curb. The bottom sliding door rail was set in silicone, so I'm sure it trapped water on the top of the curb, which allowed it to seep thru the large grout joints. I'm trying to avoid ripping out the curb, but I may have to. I'm wondering if there is some sort of a clear waterproof sealant I can try as a first resort? I have some great pix of the situation, but apparently uploading them is not permitted. A shame.

Old 08-12-10, 08:31 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I'm wondering if there is some sort of a clear waterproof sealant I can try as a first resort?
None that I know of.

I'm trying to avoid ripping out the curb, but I may have to.
I know this isnt what you wanna hear but ripping out the curb is really the only way for you to see what you are up against. Any attempts at patching it from the surface will only result in you being responsible to fix the leak in the future in the homeowners eyes.

Old 08-12-10, 08:45 AM
Arghhhh. Yup, you're right. Time to have a customer chat!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: