Acrylic Tub Install

Old 08-16-10, 05:44 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Acrylic Tub Install

Background:
Our bath room was all original and in my opinion poorly finished. The 30 yr old tile was cracking and some leaking and small amounts of mold were evident. So, new bathroom = new project.

Having decided not to save anything of the old tub, vanity, toilet I've since removed all fixtures, drywall, flooring and have installed a new exhaust fan/vent, installed new GFCI outlet and switch, removed and replaced all exterior insulation and vapor barrier, installed new water shut-off valves as there weren't any to begin with brought the floor up to a consistent level.

Everything has gone well up to this point. I've recently installed by tub drain/overflow and now I'm looking at test fitting the tub. This is where the trouble starts.

I've purchased an American Standard Marina acrylic tub -LINK- and I've realized that all instructions and install tips that I've read over show tubs with a thin exterior flange for nailing or screwing the tub to the studs. The outer flange of this tub is 1/4" thick at the ends and 1/2" thick along the back. My trouble is that I can't decided the best way to meet the tub to the stud, wall board and surround. My line of thinking that a tub like this was intended to go against the drywall/cement board and the tiles come right down to the top of that flange where the caulking will eventually seal the tub and tiles.

Can someone confirm or correct my line of thinking? If I'm correct can I expect problems from using a tub surround kit instead of tile?

Last edited by luckwanted; 08-16-10 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-19-10, 03:23 PM
J
Why would you go to all this work and still install a plastic tub???????? The link you supplied says ' page not found'. The directions should spell out what is required, if it does not, contact the manufacturer for clarification. But if there are no holes, I would drill some to secure it. Do they specify a mud, or something, support base, many plastic tubs require one. Greenboard, wonder board or whatever need not come to the tub edge. In fact it should not touch the tub edge as it will wick moisture.

Old 08-19-10, 05:15 PM
G
Remember to router the studs or furr the wall above the tub so not to end with a bow out because of the tub flange thickness. Set in mortar or drywll mud over plastic if ok with manufacturer. Use caulking at tub/tile, not grout.

Be safe, Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: